Welcome to R2R
ZomboMeme 17032021172754.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband purchased me a 280 gallon tank which I wanted to do freshwater as I have had freshwater tanks for years but he talked me into doing a reef tank. Very nervous about this. I am struggling just to get the tank and the sump hooked up. Can use all the advice I can get. The protein skimmer only fits in the sump if I take all the felt socks out. Do you have to use the socks in the sump. Is there other filters I can use in their place? There is a lot of room in this sump. Thank you.
Welcome!

Glad you joined. People are asking for sump photos as perhaps there is another place for your skimmer though maybe the skimmer's pump (only pump) still in chamber with socks. For instance: I have a 3 chamber sump.
- chamber 1 has filter socks and skimmer pump
- chamber 2 grow macroalgae (refugium)
- chamber 3 is pumps return from sump to display tank pumps & skimmer sits (because there is space to sit ... its intake pump is all the way back in chamber 1, connected with long hose)

While filter socks are optional, mine pull out so much ICKY stuff that I can't imagine my tank without filter socks (mine might become septic tank <ICKY> )

OP
OP
Sunshineincolorado

Sunshineincolorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there.... that is a big tank but rest easy... bad things happen slower in a big tank. It's like turning a cruise ship. Drink some tea, take a breath .... you've got this.
We can give you more advise on the sump if we could see what you have going on. Can you post us a pic?
You Got This Mental Health GIF by YouTube
Here are some pictures. I am waiting on some missing parts and a replacement Overflow as it came damaged before I can start to really put the tank together. I contacted Custom Aquariums today about the sump and the protein skimmer as the protein skimmer as you can see from the picture is a really tight fit. I really would like to be able to use the socks but can't and fit in the skimmer. If you look at the picture I mounted the UV Sterilizer to the wall above the sump. Unsure if this is correct. Waiting on two more Kessel's to come in. Had to hang them as they would not mount to the tank. We are having to cut into the wall now to make room for all of the equipment. Way bigger project than we thought. Hoping for the best. Thank you for all the great advice so far.

Attachments

• Sump pic 1.jpeg
    Sump pic 1.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Sump pic 2.jpeg
    Sump pic 2.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 52
  • Sump pic 3.jpeg
    Sump pic 3.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 45
  • Tank pic 1.jpeg
    Tank pic 1.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Tank Pic 2.jpeg
    Tank Pic 2.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
Sunshineincolorado

Sunshineincolorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Glad you joined. People are asking for sump photos as perhaps there is another place for your skimmer though maybe the skimmer's pump (only pump) still in chamber with socks. For instance: I have a 3 chamber sump.
- chamber 3 is pumps return from sump to display tank pumps & skimmer sits (because there is space to sit ... its intake pump is all the way back in chamber 1, connected with long hose)

While filter socks are optional, mine pull out so much ICKY stuff that I can't imagine my tank without filter socks (mine might become septic tank <ICKY> )
Here are some pictures. I am waiting on some missing parts and a replacement Overflow as it came damaged before I can start to really put the tank together. I contacted Custom Aquariums today about the sump and the protein skimmer as the protein skimmer as you can see from the picture is a really tight fit. I really would like to be able to use the socks but can't and fit in the skimmer. If you look at the picture I mounted the UV Sterilizer to the wall above the sump. Unsure if this is correct. Waiting on two more Kessel's to come in. Had to hang them as they would not mount to the tank. We are having to cut into the wall now to make room for all of the equipment. Way bigger project than we thought. Hoping for the best. Thank you for all the great advice so far.

Attachments​

• Sump pic 1.jpeg
    Sump pic 1.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sump pic 2.jpeg
    Sump pic 2.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 0
  • Sump pic 3.jpeg
    Sump pic 3.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • Tank pic 1.jpeg
    Tank pic 1.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Tank Pic 2.jpeg
    Tank Pic 2.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0

OP
OP
Sunshineincolorado

Sunshineincolorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Agree, do you have pictures of the sump.

Attachments​

• Sump pic 1.jpeg
    Sump pic 1.jpeg
  • Sump pic 2.jpeg
    Sump pic 2.jpeg
  • Sump pic 3.jpeg
    Sump pic 3.jpeg
  • Tank pic 1.jpeg
    Tank pic 1.jpeg
  • Tank Pic 2.jpeg
    Tank Pic 2.jpeg

OP
OP
Sunshineincolorado

Sunshineincolorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Attachments​

• Sump pic 1.jpeg
    Sump pic 1.jpeg
  • Sump pic 2.jpeg
    Sump pic 2.jpeg
  • Sump pic 3.jpeg
    Sump pic 3.jpeg
  • Tank pic 1.jpeg
    Tank pic 1.jpeg
  • Tank Pic 2.jpeg
    Tank Pic 2.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you exchange the skimmer for a SSS model. I love reef octopus skimmers, I use them, but I get the SSS models which are the internal skimmers to cut down on size. @Sunshineincolorado , these are some old photos, they are from when I was plumbing, but you can see my skimmer in my sump. It’s a Reef Octopus Regal 250-SSS.

0782B61A-82AC-4836-A7C4-6E4E2C5B7316.jpeg
0CD28802-C516-4F8F-BCFB-CA9427478CB3.jpeg

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the skimmer need to go in that chamber? That is one big sump. Any reason it can't go in a different box?
I was thinking the same thing as well, just not sure what is in those other chambers.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back