New Reefer in Pasadena

Allybobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm Ally and I have just become a reefer for 2 months lol (to be honest, I used 2 months to set up and stablize the system and I have only started to put live animals into the tank for less than 1 week). I decided to set up my own nano tank (16 gal) after a visit to the Aquarium of Pacific in Long Beach. I'm from China, graduated from THE Ohio State University, and moved to Pasadena for work.

Before I put live animals into my tank, I thought everything was perfect - the algae boosted and died, the parameter was good...so I put 2 snails and 2 clownfish into the tank. However, 1 snail died in 3 days and I don't know why. Then the bigger clownfish who was very active and healthy started to have "peeling skin" which I believe is parasite infection. I gave her freshwater dip and she seems good. I'm not able to set up a separate QT tank so I didn't try copper or formalin. But today I found her infected skin torn to reveal the flesh inside, and she refused to eat or move, just breathe heavily at the bottom. Can Brooklynella causes a wound like that? The other clownfish also started to show signal of "peeling skin" at the exact same place of body as the first clownfish. The survived snail also fell to the bottom and turned over. I flipped it back but it didn't move. I'm afraid that it will die like the first snail.

The deaths and diseases all happened so fast and badly hit my confidence of setting a reef tank. I feel so sad that all of a sudden my new reef tank tenants are dying. So I registered an account here to post the picture to see if anyone can help me with some advice. My clownfish probably won't be able to make it this time T_T.

WeChat Image_20220817154525.jpg WeChat Image_20220817154534.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef - we're glad you're here! I am sorry to hear about your fish. You may also want to add a post to the fish disease and diagnosis section of this forum so that you can get some additional feedback.

@Jay Hemdal #fishmedic

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Sorry about your fish. It sounds like Brooke to me. There are lots of threads on treatment for it. But maybe wait for a fish medic to diagnose it better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Allybobo

Allybobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ally. So sorry we're meeting under these circumstances. I'm a neighbor from just down the 210.

It Maybe too late for the worst clown, Have you been able to get formalin in case the second clown does have Brook as well?
Hi! I'm also living just down the 210 - near old town Pasadena.
I can get formalin - what makes me hesitate is the fear of its toxicity.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have trouble getting it, let me know. I keep a bottle on hand you can have. I had to order it in from Colorado.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome to R2R Ally!! :)

Sorry to read that you are having the troubles with your inhabitants. I will say slow down and wait.

I would have suggested to start adding fish at about 90 days. clean up crew at about 60 days to start getting your bio load a little more stabilized.

Are you testing for ammonia? Did you add any addictive to speed up the cycling process.

The best to do is to not make anymore changes or addition for two weeks. I would also suggest to test for ammonia/ nitrites to see if your tank is safe for inhabitants.

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and sorry you had to join for this reason - hopefully the other fish will pull through. I'm just west of you on the 101 in the SF valley.

I regularly deal with formalin for my work. I can help you should you need it (I also have some on hand). :)

If you have trouble getting it, let me know. I keep a bottle on hand you can have. I had to order it in from Colorado.
Just in case @Lost in the Sauce , I also have some should you find yourself without any. I got it from Amazon.

Back