New Reefer!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've already gotten some great advice, so I'll just say Welcome aboard! Go slow, take every setback as a challenge (and there will be setbacks), and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Lysh87

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've already gotten some great advice, so I'll just say Welcome aboard! Go slow, take every setback as a challenge (and there will be setbacks), and enjoy the ride.
Thank you :) That is encouraging! So many questions lol

OP
OP
Lysh87

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria need food to grow. Some people add ammonia (see Dr Tims for more info on this) Some people add a pinch of flake food every few days or a piece of raw table shrimp. This is ghost feeding.
Nitrates will start out at 0 then climb as ammonia is processed by the bacteria. The level is not important.
Being able to process ammonia into nitrate before it harms fish is important.
Oh okay this makes sense! I have biomedia in the tank, won't that just take away the ammonia that comes from ghost feeding though?

OP
OP
Lysh87

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! There’s lots of great information here to help you. You can search for each of your questions and find great threads with a lot of detail, cycling, ghost feeding, fish less cycling, bacteria in a bottle, etc. I agree with the comments above, testing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates will let you know where you are in the cycle. For bacteria in a bottle, I really like fritz turbo start 900. May cost a little more and has to be refrigerated, so a good one to find at the local fish store or it can be shipped with cold packs. Here’s a thread link from here on R2R with a member testing various products and a great example of some of the information you can find here to help.

GREAT thank you!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome56.jpg

Vincent Azzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am brand new to this hobby! I have had my tank set up for a day and a half and still trying to figure some things out.

I have a Fluval Evo Sea 13.5 gallon. The carbon and sponge filter are in the middle compartment how far down is it supposed to be? Is the bag of carbon supposed to be under water?
Make sure you put the carbon bag completely under water

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back