New Reefer!

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am brand new to this hobby! I have had my tank set up for a day and a half and still trying to figure some things out.

I have a Fluval Evo Sea 13.5 gallon. The carbon and sponge filter are in the middle compartment how far down is it supposed to be? Is the bag of carbon supposed to be under water?

OP
OP
Lysh87

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Yes I would try to submerge the carbon if possible.
Thank you! I can do that, I can just push the sponge down a bit further :)

Also, I have dead rock and live sand. I understand my tank has to cycle but since I have the dead rock it will take much longer right? And I can’t introduce any critters until it’s done cycling?

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I can do that, I can just push the sponge down a bit further :)

Also, I have dead rock and live sand. I understand my tank has to cycle but since I have the dead rock it will take much longer right? And I can’t introduce any critters until it’s done cycling?
Yes wait until it's fully cycled before adding any thing in tank.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seachem stability that I have been putting in it
Ok I have never used seachem to cycle tank. You can do a little of ghost feeding to help cycle out as well.. But whatever you use just be sure to keep check on ammonia and nitrites are at 0 when you get a reading on nitrates it should be ready to go and you will get algea don't be alarmed just let it do it's thing. Don't be in hurry. And ASK QUESTIONS don't be afraid to ask anybody here on R2R everyone is family.

OP
OP
Lysh87

Lysh87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay this is so helpful! What do you mean by ghost feeding? And what reading should I get for nitrates? I’m assuming this is going to take like a month since I have dead rock? Man I have to learn patience! Haha

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

My first tank is a 10G. And it still running, almost 3 years. Lots of LPS and I keep quite a few fish there.

Don't worry, you're in the awesome community. Just ask around.

Cheers

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! i personally wouldnt start a new tank with any chemical filtration.
I recently started and easy beginner-friendly 10g setup. And following the process on youtube if your interested in checking it out heres the link to my chanel. good luck with your new tank. feel free to message me =]

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used carbon while cycling before and it took so much longer to cycle the tank that way. once i took it out, the tank finihsed cycling within a day or two. Definately leave the sponge if you dont have any biomedia. But do not wash it or rinse it out until a week or so after you get some biomedia like bioballs (from maxspect or marinepure) a lot of the bacteria will populate the sponge. And for the carbon you can take it out rinse it with fresh water, let it air dry and save it for later on.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay this is so helpful! What do you mean by ghost feeding? And what reading should I get for nitrates? I’m assuming this is going to take like a month since I have dead rock? Man I have to learn patience! Haha
Bacteria need food to grow. Some people add ammonia (see Dr Tims for more info on this) Some people add a pinch of flake food every few days or a piece of raw table shrimp. This is ghost feeding.
Nitrates will start out at 0 then climb as ammonia is processed by the bacteria. The level is not important.
Being able to process ammonia into nitrate before it harms fish is important.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOT
Ghost feeding is just feeding the tank with no live critters in rank.

thunderreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! There’s lots of great information here to help you. You can search for each of your questions and find great threads with a lot of detail, cycling, ghost feeding, fish less cycling, bacteria in a bottle, etc. I agree with the comments above, testing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates will let you know where you are in the cycle. For bacteria in a bottle, I really like fritz turbo start 900. May cost a little more and has to be refrigerated, so a good one to find at the local fish store or it can be shipped with cold packs. Here’s a thread link from here on R2R with a member testing various products and a great example of some of the information you can find here to help.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back