New reefer

Wannabe Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've received the fantastic gift of a tank for Christmas. It's an Aqua One Aqua Vogue 170l ( I think that's around 45g)

This was purchased as a starter kit and came with an external canister filter.

I imagine after the mindless impulse of buying fish and inverts without much research that I MAXED OUT

I have the following
2 B&W ocellaris
2 fire gobies
6 lyretail anthias (1male)
1 algae Blenny
1 cleaner wrasse
1 bristletooth tang
1 regal tang

1 Rose bt anemone

1 tuxedo urchin

5 hermits
5 turbo snails
3 nassarius snails

Please be kind

I am hoping to add in some Corals and my lfs started me with 1 frag of GSP and 1 frag of candy cane

II was hoping for some help on the following

I imagine the light that came with the tank isn't fit for keeping Corals. Description says full spectrum Led with white and blue settings.

I would like to purchase a lit but the current set up has a strip light with front and back flap lid.

Is the general feeling that a lid/cover is needed to stop jumping?

I Have read that the red sea diy mesh cover is good but I can't source it in Europe.

Are there any fellow Europeans with recommendations?

Also, there are tiny dust like particles in the water that have shown up maybe in the last fortnight since I added an internal protein skimmer (tunze doc 9004). Could the skimmer be responsible?

Apologies for the long message. I look forward to picking up some knowledge from you all

Best regards

Paddy

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine the light that came with the tank isn't fit for keeping Corals. Description says full spectrum Led with white and blue settings.

I would like to purchase a lit but the current set up has a strip light with front and back flap lid.

Is the general feeling that a lid/cover is needed to stop jumping?

I Have read that the red sea diy mesh cover is good but I can't source it in Europe.

Are there any fellow Europeans with recommendations?

Also, there are tiny dust like particles in the water that have shown up maybe in the last fortnight since I added an internal protein skimmer (tunze doc 9004). Could the skimmer be responsible?

Apologies for the long message. I look forward to picking up some knowledge from you all

Best regards

Paddy
Hi Paddy, and welcome!

I can only really help you with the lid/cover question, and the answer is, yes, a lid/cover is absolutely needed to stop jumping. There are some fish that are high-likelihood jumpers, but honestly basically any fish can jump. Throughout my time I have seen stories about clownfish, tangs, blennies, wrasses, and so on. 'You don't need a lid' was one of the worse suggestions ever given to me, and it pained me so much because that was how we lost our favourite fish, ever. So yes, do definitely have some sort of cover/lid.

OP
OP
Wannabe Reefer

Wannabe Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paddy, and welcome!

I can only really help you with the lid/cover question, and the answer is, yes, a lid/cover is absolutely needed to stop jumping. There are some fish that are high-likelihood jumpers, but honestly basically any fish can jump. Throughout my time I have seen stories about clownfish, tangs, blennies, wrasses, and so on. 'You don't need a lid' was one of the worse suggestions ever given to me, and it pained me so much because that was how we lost our favourite fish, ever. So yes, do definitely have some sort of cover/lid.
Thanks for the reply

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back