New return pump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dr. D
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dr. D

Inactive Account
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2024
Messages
871
Reaction score
1,135
Location
Elsewhere
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have an Octo Varios return pump in my 100g DT. It’s fine, except that over the past few months I’ve noticed it becoming anemic. Heeding advice, I’ve twice run it in a citric acid bath for an hour… but there are few parts you can access with a brush, and I’ve noticed little improvement in flow. My sump is now at such a low level that my ReefMat no longer sees a high enough water level to advance, and the Varios is at 100%.

Is this unique to the Varios? Is there another return pump that would be better?
 
That's very helpful-- thank you. I didn't realize they came apart like that. Now I should be able to properly clean it. I'm also going to replumb the line with a union to make it easier to remove the pump, making it more likely that I'll clean it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new