New Rimless 40B Build

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been a long time coming. I have done more planning than actual building so far. Here are the details.
  • Rimless 40B footprint with starfire front panel
  • Glass-holes 1500 gph overflow kit (going to be plumbed kind of like a herbie. Don't need 1500 GPH but wanted the redundant drain. First time drilling a tank...interesting and rewarding at the same time.)
  • Mag 9.5
  • MP 10
  • Tunze 6045 (until I can get another vortech)
  • Return manifold allowing future expansion for reactors, etc.
  • Quick drain valve for simple, easy water changes.
  • BM NAC6 skimmer
  • ATO using Kalk (reservoir configuration TBD)
  • RKL
  • 6-Lamp Aquatic life T-5 using 4 ATI blue Plus, 1 ATI purple Plus, and either a KZ New Generation or GE 6500k. (will modify this fixture in the future to include a few strips of LED in lieu of T-5 to get some shimmer in the tank.)
The goal for this tank is to be SPS dominant. I will have some LPS, but only those that will thrive in the environment I'm trying to create. I'm hoping to have minimal LR in the display but we'll see how that goes.

I bought a stand from a local reefer and have been refinishing it and reworking it to fit my needs. It's nearly complete. I needed it to match the furniture in the room in which the tank will sit. The doors aren't shown however I do have them. The interior of the stand is going to remain in the color in which I received it. I'm only going to add an additional coat of polyurethane to it for purposes of protection. Trying to match colors with stain has been a challenge. So, here are some pics of the equipment and progress so far. It's going slow however I hope to get the tank wet by April 1. Most livestock will be transferred from my existing Solana but I'm not sure about using the old sand and also not sure if I can transfer without going through a cycle or if I should cycle the new tank, start with dry rock, and wait 6-8 weeks before I start the transfer. Please share your opinions on this...I would really appreciate it.

Tank 5 (600x338).jpg
Tank 3 (1) (600x338).jpg
Stand first coat.jpg
Stand first coat 2.jpg
Stand first coat 1.jpg

I'm welcome to all suggestions, advice, and recommendations you all have. This will likely not be as stellar as some of the displays on this site but it will by my little piece of the ocean at home. I do have future plans for this to include an automatic WC system however that's not something that will be done in the short term. More photos to come as this develops.

Thanks for looking.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like it's going to be pretty dang awesome! Can't wait to see it progress!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank and love the dimensions. Looking forward to seeing your build develop and thanks for sharing!

mgdmirage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is the glass on that? Is it a regular 40B but with a starfire sheet on front?

Looks nice so far.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty excited to get this tank running. I really wanted something larger when planning this however with the spatial limitations I have, the 36 x 18 footprint works rather well. I hope to update as frequently as possible but with a 9 week old infant and a 3.5 year old (going on 15 I might add) little girl, time is not really my friend right now. I typically get a few hours each Sunday to work on the tank. Tomorrow I plan to put the final coat of stain on the stand and next week, possibly during the week if I can, will start putting polyurethane on it.

The tank and stand are at a friends house who has a wood shop in his basement. My garage is not heated so painting the back of the tank and staining and finishing the stand would not have been possible here. My skimmer will be here on Monday so I'll have all the components I need with the exception of baffles for my sump.

mgdmirage....this is a standard size 40B in terms of dimensions with a starfire front panel. Glass thickness is 3/8".

Mike & Terry....Your system is fantastic! I'm a bit envious but will enjoy mine equally I hope.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm planning on transferring my livestock from the existing tank to this one, what are everyone's thoughts on transferring the sand and LR to avoid a cycle in the new tank? Is it better to simply start with new dry rock, new sand, and seed it with what I have, or should I just move everything over?

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is going painfully slow. I have been extremely busy with work and family and have not gotten done what I had hoped to by now. I was hoping to get it wet this weekend, but that's likely not going to happen until next week. And, I'm still working on ideas for the aquascape but I'm close on that. I have 2 more baffles to add to the sump and then need to glue all the PVC together. It's all roughed in right now though.

I'm also somewhat torn on how best to achieve the tank transfer and if I should go BB or SSB. Right now I'm leaning to SSB because I like the look of a sand bed.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The 40B has such great dimensions, that is why I chose it for my current build. If you want the best of both worlds I have seen someone epoxy sand on the bottom of the tank, so you get the looks of the sandbed but the benefits of BB. I will have to dig up the thread and find it.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned with removing the rim of the tank without adding support. Do you see this being a problem?

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! The 40B has such great dimensions, that is why I chose it for my current build. If you want the best of both worlds I have seen someone epoxy sand on the bottom of the tank, so you get the looks of the sandbed but the benefits of BB. I will have to dig up the thread and find it.

Interesting idea! I had not thought of that.

I would be concerned with removing the rim of the tank without adding support. Do you see this being a problem?

I didn't remove the trim. I had the tank made for me by a local tank builder.

Sweet

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Thanks.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok.. think i might do the same with Ref Savvy when i get back to florida.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Small progress this weekend. Ended up working most of the weekend then had a heck of a honey do list to get done. I only have one more baffle to add to the sump. Hope to do that tomorrow or Wednesday night so I can leak test this weekend. Nearly all of the plumbing is now glued into place. I received some dry tonga branch from BRS. Not exactly what I was looking for so I'm going to head to a LFS this weekend if the leak test is negative. If it is negative, I'll pick up a few pieces of live tonga branch there (kind of expensive) and get the cycle going on the new set up. I may be a bit optimistic but that's the goal anyway. So for now I'll just pray for a leak free test!

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Revsgirl. I hope to get some new pics this weekend if I can get done what I want.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back