OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, D! I would not be concerned if I were you. Your tank is awesome! Well executed and well thought out.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update......

I have leak tested my sump and found that one of the baffles had a small leak. Fixed that and completed the rest of the plumbing. All I need to do now is leak test the whole system, install the doors on the stand, finish the scape, and make salt water. I have plenty of RODI water ready to go.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole system has been successfully leak tested and is sitting in its new home. :bigsmile:

All that's left to do at this point is put the doors on the stand, fill it, and get to cycling. After much thought about substrate, I still find myself at a cross roads regarding SSB or BB. I'm leaning more toward SSB at this point. I'll be back home tonight from a business trip and should be able to get some pictures up then. I'm pretty excited about this tank. It's going to be very cool to get it going.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And you forgot pics.... :)

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pics. I have not yet installed the doors on the stand. I want to keep them off until everything else is done. I started filling it tonight and will soon start cycling it.

water test.jpg
Rimless.jpg

I'll put more pics up when the sump area is cleaner and will also post pics of the manifold I built to run reactors and allow for easy water changes.

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming along nicely!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I like the use of tonga branch rock in there, although I can never get that looking good, haha.

I also like the rocks in the sand on the right side, I do that with my tanks and love that "isolated" look.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I was worried about scaping with Tonga as well. I think it will look much different / better when all grows in. I should have it full tonight and will kick the cycle off. I'm going to seed it with some LR from a pest free tank if possible. I have a few things in my current system that I don't want in here. Hopefully it will be time to start cutting up some of the existing LR I have so I can transplant some coral soon!

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Chris, will be following along. Was wondering which LFS that you go to, have heard of Fish Doctors in the Ypsi area and Preuss in the Lansing area. Haven't gotten to check out what either of them have yet. Do wish that there was a dedicated lfs closer to this area.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh very cool! Love the rock!

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Chris, will be following along. Was wondering which LFS that you go to, have heard of Fish Doctors in the Ypsi area and Preuss in the Lansing area. Haven't gotten to check out what either of them have yet. Do wish that there was a dedicated lfs closer to this area.

Thanks, Barb. I'm a bigger fan of Preuss than Fish Doctors. Preuss is much more expensive though. Other options "relatively" close to us are Reef Paradise in the Flint area, Reef Solutions in Warren, Tropicorium in Romulus (Great place BTW. I highly recommend a visit) and Pet Solutions in Livonia. I use Pet Solutions frequently because they are close to my office. I will be spending some QT at Reef Paradise for stocking this build though. Andy has really high quality stuff and very fair prices.

Oh very cool! Love the rock!

Thanks, Rev! I don't have much space to work with in my house. I didn't have a tank in mind when I built it. My wife was 3 months pregnant when we started construction, so the focus was get it done and move in so she could "nest" prior to birth. We achieved success with that goal however other things that I would have liked to take more time with were compromised, the tank being one. SO, that said, I have to make this little tank be as much of a show piece as possible as it will be the best I can get for a few years to come.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank is finally full, heated, and has flow. Let the cycle begin!

It seems like it's taken forever to get this going, but it's finally going. I'll post some more pics once I get the doors installed on the stand.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is, lit up with only the blue+ lamps on, waiting on the ammonia spike.
Full with lights.jpg

It sure feels good to be one step closer to completion on this build.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did u get this tank and i what to order one!

I had it made by a local builder. It was very inexpensive as well. There are some minor quality issues, but for $120 I'm able to get over it. The minor quality issues really have no negative impact on my viewing pleasure.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That aquascape will be awesome when it starts filling up with corals!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back