New Rimless 40B Build

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love rimless tanks.

I should have bought one instead of Petco's rimmed $1 per gallon.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love rimless tanks.

I should have bought one instead of Petco's rimmed $1 per gallon.

It's nice but you'll see in the upcoming pics that I have a bit of a ghetto situation going on right now. I have not yet hung my light. I have a "plan" that involves welding. Something I'm not really good at myself. I have finally found a friend with a welder who's going to help me with this. I should be buying the stock soon and get to hanging the light.

Can't wait.....it's well over due.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.....

So here's a brief photo update. Again....I'm terrible at pics. These are from the phone, so please bear with me. They do nothing to identify the color at all.
photo.jpg

This is as close to a FTS as I can get to ease the "ghetto" appearance given the light situation. It's not yet hung, so it's sitting on a couple 2 x 4....NOT at all good looking, but keeps from frying the corals with the 6 x 39 T5.

photo (1).jpg

This is a pick of a couple of recent frag purchases. The dark looking one (again, terrible pics) is a Tierra Del Fuego that I picked up in the JF Live Sale. It's colored up nicely and I have since moved it up from the sand bed a few inches. I'm pretty happy with it.

Overall, I'm pleased with the tank thus far. 4 weeks ago, I started bio pellets and have since decided I'm going to move to the Warner Marine product. My tank seems to be happy and the SPS is thriving. Nearly all frags that have been introduced since I started the tank are thriving. I have had no casualties but I have had some that browned, but have since come back alive. Since the introduction of the bio pellets, I've found that what little LPS I have is less than thrilled, so I've increased feeding a bit. The response has been relatively positive.

In any case, all seems well considering this is only year 2 of reefing for me. More updates soon. Don't mind the bare spot on the right of the tank. I just removed a pile of rock in favor of some tonga that I have cycling right now. I still need more tonga, but it's a start none the less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good man, cant tell the colors but it looks like its filling in nicely atleast! :)

Thanks. Colors are tough with phone pics. I need to learn something about photography. Also, once I hang the light, things will be much better for me.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Colors are tough with phone pics. I need to learn something about photography. Also, once I hang the light, things will be much better for me.

yeah, trust me, I know.... I could get out the nikon but thats more of a hassle then I feel like most of the time!

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even have a good camera. It's either the phone, or a crappy point-n-shoot. Pair that up with poor skills and you get poor reef pics.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even have a good camera. It's either the phone, or a crappy point-n-shoot. Pair that up with poor skills and you get poor reef pics.

Yeah my nikon isnt a dslr or whatever, but its slightly better then a regular point n shoot... they call it a super zoom camera I think. For like $180 cant complain its better then our $200 point n shoot was... wife wanted a better camera for pics of our son, but a dslr was out of the budget, its worked out nice for all of our needs. Not great for macro pics but everything else turns out pretty good IMO.

As far as the skills.... get shooting more, my pics were horrible but after a few thousand pics they are starting to get a little better lol

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I need to update with some pics. I'm just terrible at taking them and have a crappy camera to boot.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Marvin. I'll get more posted soon. I have a bit of a re-scape plan in mind. That and a new ATI Sunpower! Stay tuned.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the comments! I really like it. Looking forward to the new light and rescape that I have planned.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back