Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1CCB92D8-63F8-47FD-A285-FF3C65C4B84E.png
A37F80A9-1BE5-4CF2-A040-D7B11A43CF1F.png
1C2874F7-9F7A-4D68-A95B-6404B34A435B.png
03D4C339-EF18-4AF7-9545-1642683BB800.png
BE05EAF4-0C40-422F-BD7B-808665044D35.png

I just got my test results back from my Ati icp. Just replaced my spectrapure filters on my brs 4 stage a few weeks ago and have maybe only used 50-60gal of water.

Barium showing 4.62
Lithium showing 44.32
Aluminum showing 8.39

Doesn’t it seem high for new filters??

help much appreciated thank you

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1CCB92D8-63F8-47FD-A285-FF3C65C4B84E.png
A37F80A9-1BE5-4CF2-A040-D7B11A43CF1F.png
1C2874F7-9F7A-4D68-A95B-6404B34A435B.png
03D4C339-EF18-4AF7-9545-1642683BB800.png
BE05EAF4-0C40-422F-BD7B-808665044D35.png

I just got my test results back from my Ati icp. Just replaced my spectrapure filters on my brs 4 stage a few weeks ago and have maybe only used 50-60gal of water.

Barium showing 4.62
Lithium showing 44.32
Aluminum showing 8.39

Doesn’t it seem high for new filters??

help much appreciated thank you
Interesting. How is barium in your tank water? Havent seen that yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I believe them to be accurate, at least not if the only place they come from is from the DI effluent where something like sodium ought to be far higher, but remember those are ppb values and I wouldn't be worrying about them.

OP
OP
Kenny’s Nano Reef

Kenny’s Nano Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I believe them to be accurate, at least not if the only place they come from is from the DI effluent where something like sodium ought to be far higher, but remember those are ppb values and I wouldn't be worrying about them.
The barium in the tank goes to 54.54

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh now that he posted his tank results... Wow.. how is that possible?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember, rodi homeowner units won't remove everything. There are tons of elements, especially in pharmaceuticals, that can't be removed with this type of filtration

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not seeing an issue that I think relates to the RO/DI.

Barium is only allowed to 2 ppm in drinking water, and an RO will remove it well and a DI finishes it off.

Same for aluminum. It is not supposed to exceed 0.2 ppm in drinking water (it's not a rule, but a secondary standard guidance).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember, rodi homeowner units won't remove everything. There are tons of elements, especially in pharmaceuticals, that can't be removed with this type of filtration

What about pharmaceuticals? They are not getting through an RO/DI.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you collect the sample from? Straight out of the DI or from a holding tank?

OP
OP
Kenny’s Nano Reef

Kenny’s Nano Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still not seeing an issue that I think relates to the RO/DI.

Barium is only allowed to 2 ppm in drinking water, and an RO will remove it well and a DI finishes it off.

Same for aluminum. It is not supposed to exceed 0.2 ppm in drinking water (it's not a rule, but a secondary standard guidance).
Barium from RODI reports 4ug/l and in tank is 54ug/l which would be well under 2ppm, alot of corals look pretty bad even after constant W/C so I sent in an ICP and got this. All I dose is ESV 2-Part and some Seachem Iodide, no idea how this Barium could get so high. Can it cause corals to die off?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a bucket but it wasn’t in there any longer then a few hours

Few hours is more than enough.

However, at the same time it is good to collect if from the storage container since that is a true representation of the RO/DI. For example your RO/DI comes out at 0.0 all around when testing straight from the resin. When it sits in the storage container for weeks you no longer get 0.0 all around say for whatever your container is leaching aluminum and your display shows high Al and you don't track it down because you keep testing your RO/DI straight from the resin.

So for your next ICP on RODI take it from your normal storage container, it will be a better overall representation of what your mixing your salt with and also what you use for top off.

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few hours is more than enough.

However, at the same time it is good to collect if from the storage container since that is a true representation of the RO/DI. For example your RO/DI comes out at 0.0 all around when testing straight from the resin. When it sits in the storage container for weeks you no longer get 0.0 all around say for whatever your container is leaching aluminum and your display shows high Al and you don't track it down because you keep testing your RO/DI straight from the resin.

So for your next ICP on RODI take it from your normal storage container, it will be a better overall representation of what your mixing your salt with and also what you use for top off.
Just to interject... If his rodi icp reports 4ug/l and his tank reports 54ug/l that doesnt sound like an error to me.

It seems that even though hes doing water changes constantly thats only driving up the barium concentration, sounds like its truly coming out of his rodi system... Whether barium is harmful to coral i have no idea...

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to interject... If his rodi icp reports 4ug/l and his tank reports 54ug/l that doesnt sound like an error to me.

It seems that even though hes doing water changes constantly thats only driving up the barium concentration, sounds like its truly coming out of his rodi system... Whether barium is harmful to coral i have no idea...

Yep no idea on the effects of barium on coral, my physiology background didn't cover coral...

I wasn't trying to suggest an error on the ICP or on his part. Just wanted to point out the sampling since I've seen it in the past where someone does exactly what happened in my example.

OP
OP
Kenny’s Nano Reef

Kenny’s Nano Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you guys think the correction course of action would be with my bad tank icp? Is barium harmful at these levels? And yes ive had torches heads detach and all my chalices rip themselves to shreds

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you guys think the correction course of action would be with my bad tank icp? Is barium harmful at these levels? And yes ive had torches heads detach and all my chalices rip themselves to shreds

Obviously a 100% water change (I know not very practical) would reset your levels of everything. If it has indeed climbed over time through RODI top off and evaporation, the only way to correct it now would be a series of larger than normal water changes for several days to reset you back to the baseline level of 4.

However, if not corrected in your filtration it will eventually climb again and need another reset.

I would send those results to spectrapure and ask what they would recommend for DI to catch barium.

Another thing I would check is your source water barium. I wouldn't imagine with normal levels you would be getting bleed through of just barium in your RODI. So maybe your levels are higher than normal or even recommended levels.

Hopefully someone can chime in about barium and corals and provide some insight there.

OP
OP
Kenny’s Nano Reef

Kenny’s Nano Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously a 100% water change (I know not very practical) would reset your levels of everything. If it has indeed climbed over time through RODI top off and evaporation, the only way to correct it now would be a series of larger than normal water changes for several days to reset you back to the baseline level of 4.

However, if not corrected in your filtration it will eventually climb again and need another reset.

I would send those results to spectrapure and ask what they would recommend for DI to catch barium.

Another thing I would check is your source water barium. I wouldn't imagine with normal levels you would be getting bleed through of just barium in your RODI. So maybe your levels are higher than normal or even recommended levels.

Hopefully someone can chime in about barium and corals and provide some insight there
I’m not sure if you’ve heard of the “bad” tropic Marin turkey based salt. That’s what I was using up until about three weeks ago. I have since changed the rodi filters and I did 20% water changes with the Red Sea blue bucket salt every other day for about 50-60 gallons. My tank is 50gal. Definitely saw improvements after the water changes but then sent the icp in to see how things are…then I got these results

OP
OP
Kenny’s Nano Reef

Kenny’s Nano Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hopefully someone can chime in about barium and corals and provide some insight there.
So I kind of just did a 100% water change unless the barium was even higher before that

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if you’ve heard of the “bad” tropic Marin turkey based salt. That’s what I was using up until about three weeks ago. I have since changed the rodi filters and I did 20% water changes with the Red Sea blue bucket salt every other day for about 50-60 gallons. My tank is 50gal. Definitely saw improvements after the water changes but then sent the icp in to see how things are…then I got these results
Barium is present in ur source water it seems even after RODI, and is high in the tank. I've not seen a single person with Tropic salt whether it's Turkey or Germany have a level that high.

I wouldn't blame the salt, I would definitely look at the source water. If both tank ICP And rodi ICP come back with it, i'd have to assume your problem lay there. I'm not an expert though, and I am interested also to see if someone can chime in. From the quick search I did online it looks like an aluminum based phosphate remover could potentially do the job of lowering it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 35.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back