ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s chlorine

Then it's not the RO unit.

Just to make double sure, I would call the water district directly and ask them. If it is only Chlorine, you can rule out the RO unit as the source of Ammonia.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yay more good news! Lol thank you
I know. I'm sorry. It's sometimes hard to get everyone on the same page here in the forums. Meaning, i would have recommended a ro/di unit with both TDS and pressure gauge built onto the unit. This would save time and some money.

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really - cool great news!!!! I love you lol! I sure hope you are right because for the life me I can’t figure out why I have ammonia in the tank
Then it's not the RO unit.

Just to make double sure, I would call the water district directly and ask them. If it is only Chlorine, you can rule out the RO unit as the source of Ammonia.
y

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really - cool great news!!!! I love you lol! I sure hope you are right because for the life me I can’t figure out why I have ammonia in the tank

y

Correct me if I am wrong, but your tank is relatively new isn't it? Remember you will only have enough beneficial bacteria to keep your Ammonia levels in check for what was currently in the tank. If you have made new additions recently, fish, rock, corals, whatever, you can see a small spike in Ammonia until the tank catches up with itself. All of that is perfectly normal in a young tank.

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I am wrong, but your tank is relatively new isn't it? Remember you will only have enough beneficial bacteria to keep your Ammonia levels in check for what was currently in the tank. If you have made new additions recently, fish, rock, corals, whatever, you can see a small spike in Ammonia until the tank catches up with itself. All of that is perfectly normal in a young tank.
Thank you, and I did check you are correct, it can't be the RODI unit, because Arvada Colorado uses Chlorine.

Chlorine(ppm) 4 4 1.17 0.51-1.77

No Water additive used to control microbes.

Well I keep checking the water, and use Prime and additional bacteria for now because I don't know what else to do

Andrew

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and I did check you are correct, it can't be the RODI unit, because Arvada Colorado uses Chlorine.

Chlorine(ppm) 4 4 1.17 0.51-1.77

No Water additive used to control microbes.

Well I keep checking the water, and use Prime and additional bacteria for now because I don't know what else to do

Andrew

Sorry, this implies you did not test the RO/DI water for ammonia directly from the unit?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I would stay away from Prime. It can and often does cause more issues than it's worth. Not the least of which is causing your skimmer to go bonkers.

Adding additional bacteria is never a bad idea. You can't overdose.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does PSI have to do with ammonia? I am not sure I understand
For the membrane to work properly. I have a BRS 70G/Day and they recommend 65PSI for the membrane to work correctly. If the pressure is too low, your membrane mat not be working properly causing the ammonia. Just a thought

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, this implies you did not test the RO/DI water for ammonia directly from the unit?
I dont think my boyfriend did, he hooked up and did a water change for me because I was at work.

I did another water change today and am still showing ammonia in the tank. Therefore, its has to be the RODI unit I guess. I am so lost right know, I don't know what is causing this.

I have had my water tested at the local fish store, and ammonia is in the water. We haven't added any additional fish or corals. Its been up for 8 month.

I do not know what is going on, the only thing that is new is the RODI unit

Andrew

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the membrane to work properly. I have a BRS 70G/Day and they recommend 65PSI for the membrane to work correctly. If the pressure is too low, your membrane mat not be working properly causing the ammonia. Just a thought
OMG! I am ready to give up everything I do to help just makes things worse! So we bought a system that was already expensive and now it doesn't even work because of the PSI from our home!

I swear, I can't get a break! Well I am not buying a booster its too expensive. I don't know what to do right now

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think my boyfriend did, he hooked up and did a water change for me because I was at work.

I did another water change today and am still showing ammonia in the tank. Therefore, its has to be the RODI unit I guess. I am so lost right know, I don't know what is causing this.

I have had my water tested at the local fish store, and ammonia is in the water. We haven't added any additional fish or corals. Its been up for 8 month.

I do not know what is going on, the only thing that is new is the RODI unit

Andrew

Test the water going into the RO/DI (i.e. from the tap)

Test the water coming out of the RO/DI.

Forget testing the tank for now... No sense it chasing unicorns here...

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I am ready to give up everything I do to help just makes things worse! So we bought a system that was already expensive and now it doesn't even work because of the PSI from our home!

I swear, I can't get a break! Well I am not buying a booster its too expensive. I don't know what to do right now

Step back from the ledge... It'll be okay. Just to put your mind at ease, test the RO water with a fresh water Ammonia test kit at your LFS.

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step back from the ledge... It'll be okay. Just to put your mind at ease, test the RO water with a fresh water Ammonia test kit at your LFS.
I am testing the water now using my own test kit... Give me a second

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the water going into the RO/DI (i.e. from the tap)

Test the water coming out of the RO/DI.

Forget testing the tank for now... No sense it chasing unicorns here...
Testing now

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay tested the following
Tap Water - 0.00 Ammonia
FREST RODI WATER - 0.00

TANK 0.025 ISH

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape on the left and rodi on the right

There is a slightly green ish on rodi water but not by much

ADC8144A-1908-4F8C-A4C8-CE79F59ACA8F.jpeg

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay tested the following
Tap Water - 0.00 Ammonia
FREST RODI WATER - 0.00

TANK 0.025 ISH

Okay, clearly not the source water or the RO/DI then... :D

Hopefully this is just a minicycle, like a previous posted said. Or perhaps something died? My auto feeder fell into my 220 gallon once (aside from the algae nuisance it created), the ammonia rose slightly for 24-48 hours with not (obvious) affects...

Does everything 'look' okay?

OP
OP
Oceanwave45

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.025 is not something to be concerned with.
If you have an extra zero after the decimal and you are 0.25, I still wouldn't pànic. Add some bacteria and take a deep breath. Then exhale.....
Okay, you seem to be very nice and informative, may I ask you something, when should I worry. What numbers should I be concerned with?

Nitrates
Ammonia
Phosphates
CA
PH

I was told the following
Nitrates- 0
PH - 8.0 MIN
PHOSPHATES - 0
AMMONIA - 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back