OP
F

frybread4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part was trying to figure out what color to stain the logs. Tried the same stain I used on the rest of the siding and it was to dark. Tried just using a polyeurathane and that was to bright! Used a torch and burnt all the phloem to darken it up and it gave it a great look and used a satin polyeurathane spray on top of it and it was just the look I wanted!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used a laquer finish on the log rather than polyeurathane. the poly always turn pine a nasty yellow IMO.

OP
OP
F

frybread4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my tank and goodies up to my new house (300 miles away) and everything survived the trip and is doing awesome. Super happy with the set up and how everything turned out. Check it out!

100_0755.jpg

100_0756.jpg

100_0757.jpg

100_0762.jpg

100_0763.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good and I love the aquascape!

OP
OP
F

frybread4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after losing almost all my fish (I have a scooter blenny and a six line wrasse left). I decided to update on what all has been happening with my tank as of recently. After the move, I didnt lose a single fish and after checking the parameters of my tank, which was all in line, I decided that it was time to start putting in more fish and the occasional coral here and there.

The first fish I decided to add into my tank was a clown tang, which was a big risk. A risk I didnt win....It's a tough fish to keep and I found that out pretty quickly. No big deal. So I stepped back and got a flame fin tang which was doing awesome and super fun to watch, loved the colors and the personality of the fish. After that I decided I wanted a pair of black clowns, I always wanted some and finally felt comfortable putting them in.

About 2 weeks after having them in, my Filtration system got a crack in one of the hoses and was sucking up air into my system. I pulled the system, called the company (who replaced the whole system for free!) and in the mean time was running just a protein skimmer that clipped onto the back of my tank. Well low and behold my tang got ich, my clowns got ich, and they all died within about 3 days of each other. So I finally got my new system in and hooked back up and all my parameters back in check so I got excited and went to my LFS and bought a beautiful 6" orange shoulder tang and a couple corals and he was doing awesome until recently. He got black ich, I tried the Freshwater bath and he didnt survive the stress or whatever it was...

All and all it begins to get pretty frustrating as to why all my fish keep dying when everything is right where it needs to be! The corals are all doing awesome and are growing like crazy, but the fish just wont survive. I dont know if there is some sort of parasite in there that I just dont know about and am not treating or what, but I'm doin my best to keep my head up and keep interested in the tank. Definitely struggling though lol

cdrewferd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had ich in your tank at one point, then you need to pull all fish and go "fallow" for something like 6-8 weeks. It sucks, but this is one of the only ways I've read about to get ich out of your system. That or break it down and completely kill the rock and start over. Good luck with the future additions.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand is very original and love the rock work!

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill get to the ich. but, to stay on topic...great stand! came together real nice like. lol as for the "unknown parasite"...its not unknown, its ICH! do a bit of research, but icy is a parasite. and it will live in your system for up to 4-6 weeks. and the only way to treat it is with copper(definite NOno if you want to keep a reef tank) or let it go fallow and wait it out.
many have struggled with the same issue, you are not alone, patience is a virtue. when i first started out i had a tank crash due to a faulty heater. cold tank for 2 nights=lots of stress=ICH. i watched as one buy one all my fish died. sail fin tang first, then the clowns, then the mandarin. but, its a real learning experience, and nothing in this hobby comes fast. so, i left my tank fish less for about two months or more. meanwhile, collecting corals, and doing extensive research on the fish that i want!!(this part really helps).
so, hope that helps. patience and more patience. have fun, keep reefing!!

OP
OP
F

frybread4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the info! I talked to a friend that owns a LFS across the state and he suggested using Ruby Reef and another LFS suggested using Herbtana, as they both agreed that was the same case for my tank! So I'm glad everyone agrees that this is whats going on in my tank. Has anyone had any luck with either of these curing their "ich problem" any quicker? I bought the Herbtana and plan on dosing my tank for the recommended days in hopes of killing the ich, but still waiting a good while after that before putting in more fish. Any help on either of these projects would be greatly appreciated!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 42 40.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back