New salt water.

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my 1st salt water set up. Looking for advice on cycling the tank. Supplements and what rock to go with. Just wanna get as much knowledge as possible. Careful I will have a ton of questions lol

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! You'll like it here!!
In the search bar, look up a thread called "Cycling a saltwater aquarium"
That'll be a great place to start!!

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too broad of a question, there is days worth of info on any one subject. Narrow your questions down or most people will pass by.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here...

OP
OP
Frankyfish

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALWAYS feel free to ask questions.. it's what we are here for.
To be honest it's very overwhelming at the moment. I've do e fresh water years ago and my daughter brought home a turtle and that led to a tank and then the bug but me. I entered a 25 dollar raffle and won a biocube 32. I dont know if that is good or bad cz I've heard some horror stories of them cracking so now in super nervous of what power heads to get cz some of them have a mod thickness for the glass. Right now I'm just buying parts. I bought a titanium 200 watt heating system. I dont know if I should upgrade the return I believe it's called or add a slimmer. It's just so much and I havent even dive into the chemicals yet lol. Sorry for the ramble bud let me stop

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome65.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the questions coming. go slow, read lots, ask lots of questions. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, but there should be a common Thread in everybody's responses. Go slow should always come first

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also a form here titled new to saltwater tanks. There are a lot of "sticky" threads at the top with lots of great information. Spend some time reading those.
You probably will have more specific questions after digging deeper into the "New to Saltwater" forum.
Take a deep breath. As I said before, we are here to help.

OP
OP
Frankyfish

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the questions coming. go slow, read lots, ask lots of questions. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, but there should be a common Thread in everybody's responses. Go slow should always come first
Yes I have been reading so much I feel like I'm back I high school lol. In not doing anything until I figure what route to take as far as chemical test kits powerhead skimmers etc. I came across R2R and decided to join and see what others have to say. My main concern right now is power heads. I've heard these biocubes crack or they did before coralife fixed the issue but I've noticed some ppl are using power heads that are way over the max thickness of the glass. I dont know if that's ok or that's just a noob and disaster is eminent at some point. I was gonna go with a couple 250's but it's better to have more flow on hand so I figured go higher but then the max thickness of the glass comes into play. I am overwhelmed but I was overwhelmed when I started freshwater so I know it will pass.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a small Tank like yours, I would look at some of the Hydor or even Jebao powerheads. Neither will last a lifetime, but will get the job done for now. There is always time to look into Ecotech products later.. They are the Cadillac/Ferrari/Porsche of powerheads. As are Tunze.
For test kits, I can save you some headache here... Skip the API tests. Buy RedSea or Salifert. The latter are MUCH more accurate and reliable

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the biocube as is for a while to get your feet wet so to speak, heater, live rock, salt, tests and go for it. These are all you need to get your cycle started. Start figuring out what you are going to keep while its cycling. That will start you researching what equipment you may want and need down the line.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome fellow biocuber!

Great info here, like someone pointed out, run it stock first, get used to it, learn your tank well by having it and running, upgrade only when needed. The most important piece of info I can give you is to only upgrade once, don't skimp in certain areas to avoid having to reupgrade later.

Also start a build thread you'll get tons of help. There are a few here with biocube builds you can check out (including me) and borrow ideas from and ask questions.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If biocubes are cracking its the first Ive heard of it. I ran one for like 6 or 7 years back in like 2005 and it was fine for me until I sold it.

OP
OP
Frankyfish

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If biocubes are cracking its the first Ive heard of it. I ran one for like 6 or 7 years back in like 2005 and it was fine for me until I sold it.
Yeah I was reading a bunch of threads about them just cracking out of the blue. I'm glad I can talk to someone who had one. Did you run a self adjusting mat underneath it? Some ppl say definitely run one to avoid cracking
then some ppl say not to. I dont think I have to cz it has the brackets around it but I figured I'd be safe then sorry and ask someone that had one.

OP
OP
Frankyfish

Frankyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a small Tank like yours, I would look at some of the Hydor or even Jebao powerheads. Neither will last a lifetime, but will get the job done for now. There is always time to look into Ecotech products later.. They are the Cadillac/Ferrari/Porsche of powerheads. As are Tunze.
For test kits, I can save you some headache here... Skip the API tests. Buy RedSea or Salifert. The latter are MUCH more accurate and reliable
I was looking looking on BRF and they have a really nice remote one an m10 or something like that. It was over 300 bucks. (I like Ferraris) it was way to powerful. Then I started looking at a bunch of other ones. I just dont want to much flow or to little and have dead zones.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back