New saltwater hobbyists

Landenb20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates Super High During Cycle? I just started my first saltwater tank one week ago after a few years of freshwater keeping and it’s been quite exciting getting it all set up. I’m not really super old or even out of high school yet so I don’t really have a job so i wanted to make it as affordable to myself as possible. Unfortunately I started with a 3 gallon pico thinking itd be cool to have a mini reef to start but I found through research it’d be much more challenging at the size I have to keep up with parameters but I don’t plan on having much bioload. I’ve got my master kit and after 10 days my nitrites are at 0ppm but nitrates at 80!?!? I have 0ppm on ammonia and I’ve got 4 stomatella snails hitchhiked from the live rock. Someone pls help me to figure out my nitrates problem because I’m not sure if I should do water changes or just keep topping off the tank for another month and test then? Please help!!!!!

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Season 7 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Upvote 0

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forums! as others have mentioned, the best bet right now would be a large water change, most likely from a local store (I'm guessing you don't have an in-house water maker... thing). Just remember also that there's always a few bumps in the road to deal with, but you'll get through!

Upvote 0

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates Super High During Cycle? I just started my first saltwater tank one week ago after a few years of freshwater keeping and it’s been quite exciting getting it all set up. I’m not really super old or even out of high school yet so I don’t really have a job so i wanted to make it as affordable to myself as possible. Unfortunately I started with a 3 gallon pico thinking itd be cool to have a mini reef to start but I found through research it’d be much more challenging at the size I have to keep up with parameters but I don’t plan on having much bioload. I’ve got my master kit and after 10 days my nitrites are at 0ppm but nitrates at 80!?!? I have 0ppm on ammonia and I’ve got 4 stomatella snails hitchhiked from the live rock. Someone pls help me to figure out my nitrates problem because I’m not sure if I should do water changes or just keep topping off the tank for another month and test then? Please help!!!!!
Welcome!

whale GIF

Upvote 0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for phosphates? There may be a connection.
For now, I would continue with water changes. You are still early in the cycle. Remember ... this is a marathon, not a race. Welcome to the reef!
king of queens running GIF by TV Land

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.... :)

Upvote 0

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! A great place to learn from others and meet people that are just as obsessed as yourself with such an amazing hobby!

If you are new and looking for possibly something to follow along with and check out my YouTube channel could be helpful in your journey in the saltwater hobby. Feel free to message me anytime too with questions you may have! Hope you get a chance to check out the channel, and let me know how you like it!

Again... Welcome!

Upvote 0

smiilez33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 10% water changed weekly.. I went through a pretty UGLY time when I cycled.. cyano.. diatoms.. you name it... I consistently did my water changes weekly and in time it fixed itself..

Upvote 0
Back