New Setup Plumbing Help

dustinc

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2010
Messages
533
Reaction score
468
Location
Waxahachie, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a new Planet 120 that is being delivered tomorrow, and I'm working on my plumbing design. It is an internal overflow box that is pre-drilled with 4 holes (2 x 1" & 2 x 3/4"). It is obviously ran this way to run 2 drain and 2 return. I've ran Herbie before with great success, but I like the idea of the extra failsafe of the bean animal setup. I've thought about running 1 of the 3/4" drains as my main drain and the 2 1" pipes as the secondary and emergency. I plan on a 1000gph return pump with the goal of about 500 gph actual turnover between the sump and tank.

Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts?

Also, I could run Herbie and run the float switch for my return in the overflow box to shut off the return if the drains have an issue as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new