New Sun Coral ID

TheCheeseWizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this sun coral at my LFS. The picture was taken the same night I acclimated it to its new tank after I used the bowl method to coax the polyps out. I would say its doing really well considering some of the polyps are opening up. I was able to get a few of the polyps to eat.

I know getting a species identification on sun corals is difficult, if not impossible, but if anybody could help I would really appreciate it. This sun coral seems to have more pink to it than others I have seen (except for corals which are all pink) and the tentacles seem to be extra short.
szfuYR
Sun Coral.jpg

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice pick up really good tissue and extension for just being added keep feeding and it'll be beautiful and full. Can't help with the technical name sorry.

OP
OP
TheCheeseWizz

TheCheeseWizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. That is good to hear. I checked in the middle of the night and the tentacles were fully extended and looking healthy. So I gave them some food and most of them ate.
20150525_020137.jpeg

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looks very happy keep up the feedings and they'll even extend during the day if shaded some we've had one like it and a black Sun coral that were pigs n grew well opened a lot of the time. Definitely be added to our new setup at some point.

mac-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a noob question, but what is the bowl method. Seen one at my lfs and was thinking of picking up one. Always thought sun corals were hard to keep.

OP
OP
TheCheeseWizz

TheCheeseWizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a noob question, but what is the bowl method. Seen one at my lfs and was thinking of picking up one. Always thought sun corals were hard to keep.

The bowl method is placing the coral in a bowl with tank water and food in order to coax out the polyps. Its a way of feeding them without shooting food into each polyp individually.

Sun corals are very hard to keep because of their feeding. You need to isolate them from the current in some way. I've started to place the top of a 2L bottle over them and shoot the food into the bottle. Its working really well but it is still a lot of work.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back