New system build looking for imput

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone time to build a propagation tank so here is what I want to do. I want to use all Rubbermaid stock tanks, x 2 50 gallons connected together with a 2, 3 or 4 inch bulkhead to connect the water. This will be plumbed into a 100 gallon Rubbermaid acting as the sump. My biggest worry is the connection for the two 5os I hear the Rubbermaid will flex causing a leak from the bulkhead is this true ? Any advice please let me know. I want this to be easy but effective.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 100 gallon Rubbermaid there is a flat side that a bulkhead works fine with, but it does point down slightly so you would have to do something different than a strait pipe between them to take that out.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need to incorporate a couple elbows (low angle like 22.5 is fine) to make up for the angle.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to get that cold. I heat with a Pex loop off my hot water heater instead of electric to save money (500 gallons total volume). Keep in mind evaporation will be higher, so cover what you can and be prepared to deal with moisture. I got condensation on my walls until I insulated the space. With my system volume in the 18' X 26' space it stays a balmy 68 now!
should I use a 2, 3 , 4 inch pipe to channel them together
The bigger the better in my opinion, but how much flow you will have will determin the minimum.

P.S. Your username in reference to the band? (RIP Jeff Hanneman!)

OP
OP
slayerhellfire

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to get that cold. I heat with a Pex loop off my hot water heater instead of electric to save money (500 gallons total volume). Keep in mind evaporation will be higher, so cover what you can and be prepared to deal with moisture. I got condensation on my walls until I insulated the space. With my system volume in the 18' X 26' space it stays a balmy 68 now!

The bigger the better in my opinion, but how much flow you will have will determin the minimum.

yes actually lol, I saw slayer this past summer last show in buffalo it was so good, such a amzing band

OP
OP
slayerhellfire

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no real way to insulate the basement my house was built in 1835 lol

It might be pretty hard to insulate my basement my house was built in 1835 lol not bad basement though for being that old, yeah I know I need more supports under the stand it's not finished yet.

20181209_194333.jpg

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up flexPVC for your pipes. Glues into PVC fittings but is flexible enough for most bends you won't need any elbows. Alternately, you can heat and bend regular PVC with a heat gun, enough for mild bends.

OP
OP
slayerhellfire

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up flexPVC for your pipes. Glues into PVC fittings but is flexible enough for most bends you won't need any elbows. Alternately, you can heat and bend regular PVC with a heat gun, enough for mild bends.
I will look into that,my biggest worrie is heat issues I mean yes we use heaters and such but looking at the long term of running a system this big when its 55 down there I am prob over analyzing things but I got to I want it done right the first time

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look into that,my biggest worrie is heat issues I mean yes we use heaters and such but looking at the long term of running a system this big when its 55 down there I am prob over analyzing things but I got to I want it done right the first time
Can you box out and insulate just the area around the tanks, or maybe the tanks themselves to help preserve heat?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heat in the cold will make that plastic really brittle. Get a sump, it’s worth it. Rubbermaid’s will overflow and in your case crack; there’s no fail safes, like on a trigger or any high quality sump

OP
OP
slayerhellfire

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think these would crack I mean there outside on farms all year freezing/hot in the sun there made to last through stuff like that. Trigger sumps or any kind of those prefabbed sumps are a huge waste of money imo, I built my own sump 40 breeder with .5 inch polished glass baffels for 60 bucks works better all around way more room as well. I feel those trigger sumps are just for peoples eye and appearance. I look for things that are effective and efficient and wont drain the bank.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hose isn't as old as yours but turns 100 next year with field stone and yellow sand walls. I built 2x2 walls so I could put insulation and then covered with some 1/4" plastic coated stuff menards had in 4' by 8' sheets. Inexpensive and effective for me, but really I think it's fine as long as you have an ATO working for you and can heat the volume.

OP
OP
slayerhellfire

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hose isn't as old as yours but turns 100 next year with field stone and yellow sand walls. I built 2x2 walls so I could put insulation and then covered with some 1/4" plastic coated stuff menards had in 4' by 8' sheets. Inexpensive and effective for me, but really I think it's fine as long as you have an ATO working for you and can heat the volume.
yeah I think it will too, I am going run 3 300 watt heaters all on apex for back up, also I do have a dehumidifier for the summer. It actually stays cool down there in the middle of the summer as long as the door stays shut.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back