New Tank Build (Need help and opinions!)

Amber905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am getting a tank built for me that is going to be sunk into a wall. I am able to put the overflow box and returns through the drywall. I am going around a stud, so the return piping will have to go straight back for 4 inches before the angle. I hope this makes sense and maybe my mock design will help.

My questions are, what is your opinion on this design? The piping will be going down to the sump (Which I haven't designed yet, any suggestions for the sump?)

What about the measurements? What about other options? The tank builder suggested overflow out the bottom and return in the bottom up inside the overflow and out the side of the overflow box (thus keeping drain and return hidden in the acrylic covered overflow box in the back corner. (Same tank measurements)

Which design would you like better? The pictures that I have designed have been from my research, so please don't be afraid to critique.

Fish tank design.jpg Fish Tank Tubing.jpg

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the overflow a bit larger and setup the 3 line Herbie Overflow if you are getting this built. Are you limited by the 32" long footprint? If not I would make the tank longer so you have more options to choose from for your livestock. The sump will depend on what method of reefing you are planning on going with from basic to Triton to scrubber style to name a few.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 inch returns on my 40b, I wouldn’t recommend them for a tank that size, i would do 3/4 inch returns and 1 inch drains. I use the eshopps M ghost overflow, you might want to get the L that has 3 drains to really tune in your flow to make it silent.

OP
OP
Amber905

Amber905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the overflow a bit larger and setup the 3 line Herbie Overflow if you are getting this built. Are you limited by the 32" long footprint? If not I would make the tank longer so you have more options to choose from for your livestock. The sump will depend on what method of reefing you are planning on going with from basic to Triton to scrubber style to name a few.

Yes, I am limited on the 32 inch long (looking at where I am putting the tank)
A few pictures of the space may be useful. This is the spot in the basement. Behind the wall is also shown. There are a couple studs that support a hanging floor, so if its possible would avoid having to cut out. But, I have no problem cutting the drywall out. Note, if you look really close and the picture from behind the wall, there is a black line. That is where the middle of the tank sits (hence, where I was picturing the overflow box)

Note, the spot framed out is not wide enough currently. Also, things will be supported more, it is just to give an idea. The sump will be directly underneath.

Note - this is my first salt water tank, would like to do some corals, and a few fish (clown, etc.)

Space 2.jpg Space 3.jpg Space1.jpg

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer the plumbing out the back of the tank. If something fails it is less likely to be catastrophic.

Also if your building the tank, you should look into a coast-to-coast overflow. You have to build it into the tank, but they offer decent benefits if you are custom building the tank anyway.

OP
OP
Amber905

Amber905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @LiveWire about the Bean animal style overflow. Definitely want an emergency 3rd pipe
I was looking at the Large Overflow from ESHOPPS and it is 12 inches long. I would have to move a stud over a bit which I was hoping to avoid. The 3 ESHOPPS overflow was also rated for between 120-150 gallon. This tank will be max 44 gallon. Would it still be recommended?

OP
OP
Amber905

Amber905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer the plumbing out the back of the tank. If something fails it is less likely to be catastrophic.

Also if your building the tank, you should look into a coast-to-coast overflow. You have to build it into the tank, but they offer decent benefits if you are custom building the tank anyway.
I will take a look! Thank you

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Amber905

Amber905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The footprint I have for the tank is 32” inches long, 18” depth and height I am able to play around with although I was figuring 18”. IS 18’ a good height?

This tank will be inset in the wall (as seen in the pictures.)
It will be hooked up to a sump (I already have the eshopps r-100 coming.
There is a floor drain right underneath.
I’d like an external overflow to save as much real estate in the tank as possible.

As you can see in the picture, I cut the drywall space that I am thinking of putting the external through. There are a few wall studs back there that I’d prefer not to cut, so that was the widest space I have available.

I was hoping to do a bean style overflow to have the best safety measures and flow as possible. Is it possible to have three holes in an external box that is 11 ¼ wide? Could maybe even do 11 ½ if the measurements are spot on. What is your recommendation?

Originally, I was thinking of a return that was split from one pump into two lines (so I’d have a return on each end of the overflow, however, from quick reading often people don’t like that due to losing lots of velocity. What do you think? If I am only doing one return, where would the best place to do it be?

Tank Design.jpg Tank Design 2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back