New Tank - Confused on plumbing

Brenn4423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I recently was gifted an acrylic aquarium that I'm hoping to set up as a reef tank. The aquarium has dual overflows (one in each corner), but inside each of the overflows there is only one single hole at the bottom of the tank w/ a 2" diameter. I'm used to seeing two holes inside each overflow. Why is there only a single hole in each overflow? Also there is an additional hole (hole #3) on the bottom of the tank located in the middle of the tank towards the back wall. This third hole is currently plugged, but there is no overflow/box hiding it so its just kind of in the middle of the tank. Does anyone have any clue on how this tank is supposed to be plumbed?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, #WelcometoR2R!!! We're glad you're here!

It sounds like the tank may have originally designed for some type of closed loop system and then the tank was modified for use with a sump (consider to be a more traditional open loop system). One way to plumb the drains in the current configuration is to take a Herbie overflow approach. Usually the two drains are next to each other, but the concept still works with one pipe on one side and the other pipe on the other.

Here is a link to an article with graphics that explains more about a Herbie overflow:

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could have used the 2 overflow as drains. 1 for each side of the tank and the middle hole used for the return. The return being in the middle of the tank probably had a "Y" on it so water would be pushed from the middle to the sides.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back