New Tank Coral Recommendations

Jae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My boyfriend has had his 30 gallon tank for awhile but I just got my first tank (a 10 gallon Nuvo) last weekend. I know there is a difference between watching someone else do something and doing it for yourself.

I cycled the water with salt water from the store we buy from, live sand and dry rocks for a week. I just put two picasso clownfish in last night. I am wanting to get some corals next weekend and wasn’t sure if there were corals that were better for a newer tank? Or if I could get the hammer I want right away.

1MCp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! My boyfriend has had his 30 gallon tank for awhile but I just got my first tank (a 10 gallon Nuvo) last weekend. I know there is a difference between watching someone else do something and doing it for yourself.

I cycled the water with salt water from the store we buy from, live sand and dry rocks for a week. I just put two picasso clownfish in last night. I am wanting to get some corals next weekend and wasn’t sure if there were corals that were better for a newer tank? Or if I could get the hammer I want right away.
Has your tank gone through all the chemical cycles? A week or so doesn't seem long enough for bio filters to be established! Perhaps give it another 2 weeks and do a water test.

Some easy corals to start might be green star polyps. They don't require feeding or too much light and aren't as sensitive to water changes as some other corals.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you still have ammonia in your water. Would take it easy and test your parameters probably every day for ammonia. Good thing you bought clown fish. Very hardy, just watch their breathing

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down. After 1 week with dry rock NOTHING is cycled. I would get some Prime in there so the poor clownfish don't suffer so much (Detoxifies Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates). The cycling process generally takes 30-60 days unless you are using cured rock (longer with dry rock as it takes a while for it to establish the bacteria needed to keep things going). You are no where near ready to add corals.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would return the picasso clowns at 1 week the water conditions over the next month or so are not gonna be stable especially in only a 10 gallon tank. The fish most likely will not make it, cycle the tank properly then add your livestock.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back