New tank cost guidance

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am looking to set up a new 125g and wanted to know if anyone has experience in doing this from used gear. I am trying to building this more affordability. I already have a 25g nano so wanted some advice on costs of a larger tank if I sourced used gear.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are as many answers as users to be honest. What corals? What do you already have? Controller or no controller? There are dozens of things to consider here

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There’s so many variables to this but unless you can find a completely free tank with all equipment which doesn’t happen expect to pay at least around $1,000 when you factor in sand, rock, filtration equipment, etc. even if you bought it all used which is about a quarter of the cost of it being new.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are as many answers as users to be honest. What corals? What do you already have? Controller or no controller? There are dozens of things to consider here
Got it thankyou! Well currently I don’t plan on introducing coral to the 125, I have a lot in my nano which I’m happy with right now (I might move them across when I’m setup and use the nano tank as more of a frag tank) i plan on starting this as a fish only with rock. I got the tank and stand for a steal at $90 second hand but am trying to figure out how many wave makers I’d need, setting up a sump etc as I haven’t done anything on this scale. My nano and 40 breeder are both AIO setups so no experience using sumps.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always tell people to figure $20-$40/gallon for a reef tank. Going used, you might get to $10/gal.

I've had a mixed bag with used pumps, so if you are like me and budget conscience, I'd just go with Jebao pumps and wave makers. That is what I use with no regrets.

The pump that came with my tank just died, I ordered 2 DCW-6000's to use. (1 for return, one for backup).

I also run 2 SCP-150/180 (can't remember) gyres and a SOW-8 wave maker for in take movement.

So far no complaints, and I've been running them since ~April, 2020 when I adopted this tank!

Tank is a ~20 year old 92 Corner. I'm moving to a 120, and the equipment will move with me. For me, it is very hard to spend the money on the big name products that are $300-500 min per item when I can buy an equivalent pump w/o the bells and whistles for $100.

HTH,
-Chris

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always tell people to figure $20-$40/gallon for a reef tank. Going used, you might get to $10/gal.

I've had a mixed bag with used pumps, so if you are like me and budget conscience, I'd just go with Jebao pumps and wave makers. That is what I use with no regrets.

The pump that came with my tank just died, I ordered 2 DCW-6000's to use. (1 for return, one for backup).

I also run 2 SCP-150/180 (can't remember) gyres and a SOW-8 wave maker for in take movement.

So far no complaints, and I've been running them since ~April, 2020 when I adopted this tank!

Tank is a ~20 year old 92 Corner. I'm moving to a 120, and the equipment will move with me. For me, it is very hard to spend the money on the big name products that are $300-500 min per item when I can buy an equivalent pump w/o the bells and whistles for $100.

HTH,
-Chris
Amazing this is more than helpful thankyou! I was considering Jebao for the new tank pumps and also dosers (if needed) but couldn’t really find much reviews for them.
Do you have recommendation for budget sump and skimmer options?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am looking to set up a new 125g and wanted to know if anyone has experience in doing this from used gear. I am trying to building this more affordability. I already have a 25g nano so wanted some advice on costs of a larger tank if I sourced used gear.
Ive got a tank that I bought from someone else that did it from a budget and used parts. It works great. I would look on FB market place, lots of people getting out of the hobby and selling whole setups for a really good price

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a tank that I bought from someone else that did it from a budget and used parts. It works great. I would look on FB market place, lots of people getting out of the hobby and selling whole setups for a really good price

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing this is more than helpful thankyou! I was considering Jebao for the new tank pumps and also dosers (if needed) but couldn’t really find much reviews for them.
Do you have recommendation for budget sump and skimmer options?
Maybe a 40B with the sump baffles from BRS? I believe Petco is still having their 50% off tank sale, so it would be $50ish I believe for the tank.

IMG_3315.png

For the skimmer (and if you want a “real” sump), check out the FB market place and your LFS used equipment.

Thanks,
-Chris

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on the forum market place here on R2R for any gear you need

Id suggest to message this person and try and work out a deal to buy and ship this sump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back