Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7 after adding one and only

ammonia 2 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

it’s been nearly 4 weeks since setting the tank up and I just don’t understand why I’m not seeing any progress?

the shop I’ve been using didn’t recommend I use the one and only / add ammonia

they said It might be best to start again, I’m assuming by that they mean a 100% water change?

any suggestions of what I should do / try next?
don’t really want to be waiting another 4 weeks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this: let me remote work your cycle and if it’s ruined, or stalled, I’ll update this in two large threads that claim no cycle has ever stalled. all stalls are false and just test variance

that’s the claim

I’ll flagship admit we’ve found one, you have dead bacterial you can’t pass our way of testing.

in order to participate fairly in my study, this post sets the rules below, no veering and customizing

take a read, 30 mins four pages, I lay all my chips down you are cycled, your test readings are already predicted here below, I see your cycle differently than most do.

but if I’m wrong we will see it on your ammonia kit

see those tanks we fixed up? the chance that yours won’t comply is .001%

change your water for new, keeping rocks and sand in there. when you have all new water but the cycled rocks and sand together, we move onto proofing step. We will add a mathematically accurate amount of ammonia known to read 1 ppm and then see if your tester indicates it accurately, starting from clean water not current wastewater, I bet your cycle is done. Quick read:

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We change only one aspect of that thread: here we need to verify your ammonia test accuracy as a benchmark before we use the three part ammonia test to prove the cycle is done, like Jacks tank on page one example.

When you have all new saltwater and no old, we use this online calculator to add the right amount of dr tims ammonium chloride. We go to one ppm, not two. We don’t use the # of drops from the bottle, we use the calc.

****we must have a clear picture of your ammonia a few hours after a full water change before you add ammonia***. This is your benchmark known zero, whatever color it reads after the full water change. Pic #1 is your actual test for us to see after all new water.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

we then have you post the pic of the test kit, in clear light, against the color chart and we see if it reads one ppm after dosing which we know to be fact from the calculator. This is pic #2

We know nothing about your cycle until we know your ammonia test works after reset of water. The cycling bacteria will remain stuck to your rocks, ive never seen a failed cycle, I don’t think yours is failed.

does that thread above imply we find true stuck cycles, or false ones on forums

b

ace card: you’ve met the wait time for the 80 year old nitrification cycling chart, written independently of your bottle bac, written for natural contamination. As of now, the entire industry of waste water science would say you’ve cycled but can’t measure it correctly... which is no surprise when google api or Red Sea ammonia kit results. Our calibration step aligns any test for use.

pic #3, the deciding pic, comes 48 hours after pic #2

if it matches pic #2 you’re stuck, dead bottle.

if it matches pic #1 this thread is getting linked in that thread per win #26

we need to see if the kit can even accurately measure one ppm before we trust it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

ma77y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We change only one aspect of that thread: here we need to verify your ammonia test accuracy as a benchmark before we use the three part ammonia test to prove the cycle is done, like Jacks tank on page one example.

When you have all new saltwater and no old, we use this online calculator to add the right amount of dr tims ammonium chloride. We go to one ppm, not two. We don’t use the # of drops from the bottle, we use the calc.

****we must have a clear picture of your ammonia a few hours after a full water change before you add ammonia***. This is your benchmark known zero, whatever color it reads after the full water change. Pic #1 is your actual test for us to see after all new water.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

we then have you post the pic of the test kit, in clear light, against the color chart and we see if it reads one ppm after dosing which we know to be fact from the calculator. This is pic #2

We know nothing about your cycle until we know your ammonia test works after reset of water. The cycling bacteria will remain stuck to your rocks, ive never seen a failed cycle, I don’t think yours is failed.

does that thread above imply we find true stuck cycles, or false ones on forums

b

ace card: you’ve met the wait time for the 80 year old nitrification cycling chart, written independently of your bottle bac, written for natural contamination. As of now, the entire industry of waste water science would say you’ve cycled but can’t measure it correctly... which is no surprise when google api or Red Sea ammonia kit results. Our calibration step aligns any test for use.

pic #3, the deciding pic, comes 48 hours after pic #2

if it matches pic #2 you’re stuck, dead bottle.

if it matches pic #1 this thread is getting linked in that thread per win #26

we need to see if the kit can even accurately measure one ppm before we trust it.
Thanks for all that information, makes for interesting reading!
I think I’m going to change the water this weekend I will keep you posted

OP
OP
M

ma77y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did do as close to a 100% water change as I could, which got rid of most of the ammonia I had put in but not all around 1ppm still remained 4 hours after the change

the day after the water change I tested and I now had no ammonia, no nitrite and around 5ppm nitrate

I took this as it must be cycled as it got rid of around 1ppm ammonia over night

I have since added 2 small clowns which have now been in 4 days and they are doing good and eating well

I’ve been testing everyday and ammonia hasn’t increased at all so hopefully that’s the end to all my cycling stress!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice I was hoping yours turned out well! Can u post a tank pic we use the living fish as our final proofs in the study threads. They’re all about outcomes, and worthless without outcomes on file.

nice updates well done

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back