New tank, did some TTM, doing some copper QT, but might just GIVE UP.

Do you quarantine/TTM? Did it work for YOU?

• Yes I Quarantine or TTM, and yes I have an ICH/Velvet/everything FREE TANK!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes I Quarantined or TTM, but I still got Ich/some parasite/disease somehow...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES I Quarantined or TTM'ed the fish, but not snails, shrimp, hermits, and "think" I'm safe?

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No I don't Quarantine or TTM, I wish I did, but I just don't have the time/patience/resources.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I don't Quarantine or TTM, I, like Paul, think healthy fish can handle disease.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Poll question here. I am starting a new tank, and transferring livestock from my old tank. My old tank has some big fat healthy tangs, and guess what, it also has ich. Rarely, and I mean like 1/year, I see some spots on the tangs, usually if if a new addition arrives or something big changes. The cleaner shrimp, and some good eatin', tend to get rid of the spots, and within days the fish are clear again. I guess I never considered it a big problem.

BUT I thought hey, starting big new "dream" system, maybe do it COMPLETELY clean. So I bought all the stuff for TTM (doing the small fish that way) and I have a QT setup for the big tangs that I will run copper power in. But I am on the verge of giving up already.

I need snails in the new tank.
I need shrimp in the new tank.
I will end up transferring coral to the new tank (after a stint in coral QT).

I am under the impression that TO BE SURE and keep ich out, I need to QT EVERYTHING for 72 days! Even the snails and hermits! and I just don't see that happening. I can stomach 3 weeks for fish, but I can't keep snails/shrimp in my QT tank due to copper, and I am not gonna set up a fishless snail/shrimp QT.

So please vote. Did you spend the time, resources, and so on to really achieve an Ich free tank?? Did you QT your fish and just chuck in inverts? Or did you just decide to roll "Au Naturale" and pick healthy fat fish and put them right in?

I ask because as far as I know... I have never met someone who has QT'ed EVERYTHING and has a completely pest free tank. You must be out there. Pipe up!

Pic for sticking with me through that novel:
CherryBomb.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I don't qt anything. Or use meds. Lots of good LIVE rock and a good natural seafood diet are all my tank needs

Andy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest putting inverts/corals in DT while going fallow, fish on a separate qt tank with Cu...

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping marine fish since 2007. I have never seen marine ich or any of the other diseases mentioned in my tanks. I dont treat fish for anything and never have, never had any reason to.
I have seen uronema on green chromis. This was immediately after receiving them. About 50% survived but no other fish were affected.

Perhaps it's because I am lucky and only keep easy hardy fish like these.
IMG_2950-M.jpg

IMG_2935_heic-M.jpg

If I knew what I was doing right I would tell everyone. But I don't. I have no idea. I now run a large UV and ozone on my tanks but those were recent additions and I get other benefits from them in the system. I did not install them to prevent disease. A clean tank with clean water, stability and the very best food I can get is no secret method.

I think you need to do what you think will give you the best chance of success and the most peace of mind.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

Back