New Tank...Finally!!!

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally talked my wife into letting me get a new tank :bigsmile:. I got my bonus from work:moneygrubber:, and I've started buying all the parts I need. I'm going with a 55 gallon tank 20 gallon fuge. I forgot how expensive parts were.
So far I have ordered or got:
1. T5, 4-54W fixture from Hellolights 48"
2. 80lbs of sand Carib Sea Seaflor special grade (have to still order the live sand, but will wait till setup is done)
3. 50lb of Carib Sea Reef Rock (base)
4. Return pump for fuge I'm going to build
5. PVC pipe and bulk heads
6. Wood to build the canopy (epoxy paint for inside)
7. 2-Hydor Koralia #2
8. Ocean pulse duo wavemaker

Phew:sweat:. I'll be sure to post some pics once I get it all up and running. Oh, and if I missed anything let me know. Want to get it all now, while I have the green.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!! If you're going with a standard 55, can I suggest that you reconsider. The 55 is very narrow front to back and tall, giving you limited surface area for aquascaping and limited water surface for gas exchange. My favorite in that tank range is the 40 breeder. It's a shallower tank with much more surface area. I'm not sure what the next breeder configuration is above 50 gal. You'll have much more success with a wider, shallower tank. Whatever your choice, looking forward to the results.
Gary

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second gparr's advice. I have a set up very similar to what you are suggesting and regret not going with the 40 breeder or a tank of similar dimensions. Also if you are starting from scratch, I kick myself everyday for not going drilled. Do this step now, and don't hate yourself later.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second everything they say! I get a rediculous amount of reefers through the store i work at that hate their 55's (and i hate mine as well) and also, the price difference in drilled 55's and those above it is not much, and miniscule compared to the overall system cost

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont second anyones recommendation because it sounds like you already started buying stuff so id recommend a 75 or a 60 both 4' but front to back, more space

OP
OP
laskopyre

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll look into a 60. If it's a little wider, wouldn't be much to widen the stand. I'll have to check the LFS by me that sells all different size tanks. As long as it's close to the same water volume, it shouldn't be an issue.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back