New tank, flow, and shyness

C1-10P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

so I just added my first set of fish to my 6’ 120 gallon about a week ago, cycled with Dr. Tims, current tests using api, have ULR Hanna checked but havnt used it yet.

ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 (can’t get a consistent reading here)
Salinity 1.024
Temp 80 (live in a dessert and with AC set at 78 in the house that’s where the tank is running)
Feeding mix of TDO chromaboost extra small, NLS, and a few Hikari seaweed extreme

current stock
Long nose hawk fish
Orchid Dottyback
Helfrinchi firefish (got a deal on him vs the planned purple and fell in love with the colors)
foxface rabbit fish

the rabbit fish started off swimming and hiding about 50% of the time, was eating well. The last two days it has stayed in a cave and been switching to its dark stress colors pretty often. The dottyback stays hidden most of the time but eagerly comes out for food. Hawk fish is front and center all the time. Firefish disappeared for first 3-4 days but now peaks it’s head out and came out for food.

my question is it seems they come out more when the power heads are off. I have a Maxspect gyre 350 and 330, opposite ends both horizontal. I started with a pattern found on here which alternated pulsing flow between the two on antisync throughout the 24 hour period with a max of 60%. That seemed two strong so I switched to the LTC setting with a max flow of 40%.

yesterday though the rabbit fish wouldn’t even come out for food.

Is this just me not being patient enough or could I be missing something? Any pointers to get him to get out of the cave more? When he was out the rest of the fish came out more too.
I do plan on adding a pair of clowns and a royal gramma in another week or two once I am sure these are settled in. And then wait another 3-4 weeks before any more additions.

35252F0A-BAFE-4E2F-ABA7-B6E9B9348E23.jpeg 8F3BF405-43D6-4426-B862-DFCE612C79B8.jpeg EE61E8D8-4D36-4DBD-AE59-1AA03B7C7988.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

so I just added my first set of fish to my 6’ 120 gallon about a week ago, cycled with Dr. Tims, current tests using api, have ULR Hanna checked but havnt used it yet.

ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 (can’t get a consistent reading here)
Salinity 1.024
Temp 80 (live in a dessert and with AC set at 78 in the house that’s where the tank is running)
Feeding mix of TDO chromaboost extra small, NLS, and a few Hikari seaweed extreme

current stock
Long nose hawk fish
Orchid Dottyback
Helfrinchi firefish (got a deal on him vs the planned purple and fell in love with the colors)
foxface rabbit fish

the rabbit fish started off swimming and hiding about 50% of the time, was eating well. The last two days it has stayed in a cave and been switching to its dark stress colors pretty often. The dottyback stays hidden most of the time but eagerly comes out for food. Hawk fish is front and center all the time. Firefish disappeared for first 3-4 days but now peaks it’s head out and came out for food.

my question is it seems they come out more when the power heads are off. I have a Maxspect gyre 350 and 330, opposite ends both horizontal. I started with a pattern found on here which alternated pulsing flow between the two on antisync throughout the 24 hour period with a max of 60%. That seemed two strong so I switched to the LTC setting with a max flow of 40%.

yesterday though the rabbit fish wouldn’t even come out for food.

Is this just me not being patient enough or could I be missing something? Any pointers to get him to get out of the cave more? When he was out the rest of the fish came out more too.
I do plan on adding a pair of clowns and a royal gramma in another week or two once I am sure these are settled in. And then wait another 3-4 weeks before any more additions.

35252F0A-BAFE-4E2F-ABA7-B6E9B9348E23.jpeg 8F3BF405-43D6-4426-B862-DFCE612C79B8.jpeg EE61E8D8-4D36-4DBD-AE59-1AA03B7C7988.jpeg
+1 to the above.
Foxfaces are highly timid species’ and it’s not unheard of for them to go into hiding for the first few days or weeks. They just need time to settle into the tank and establish a territory in there.

OP
OP
C

C1-10P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.
Foxfaces are highly timid species’ and it’s not unheard of for them to go into hiding for the first few days or weeks. They just need time to settle into the tank and establish a territory in there.
Ok thanks for the reassurance.

should I do anything specific for feeding to make sure he is getting food? Or just assume he will sneak out when no one’s looking for a snack? I left a half sheet of nori in last night just in case and didn’t look like anyone touched it this morning.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the reassurance.

should I do anything specific for feeding to make sure he is getting food? Or just assume he will sneak out when no one’s looking for a snack? I left a half sheet of nori in last night just in case and didn’t look like anyone touched it this morning.
I think he’ll come out when need be but just in case, maybe try spot feed him for a couple of days and broadcast feed the rest of the tank.

OP
OP
C

C1-10P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am trying to be patient and trust you guys! He must have found a new spot because I havnt been able to see him in two days now. I have apparently made a bunch of good caves on the back of the rock lol

OP
OP
C

C1-10P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well doesn’t look good, I got impatient and moved the rocks and found him in rough shape.

He is has swam once or twice but could barely keep up against my return pump. Looks like he may have been stuck?

Attachments

• 2561AF72-D730-43DF-AC9E-27BB2ECDAF87.jpeg
    2561AF72-D730-43DF-AC9E-27BB2ECDAF87.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 37CD8F97-8CE8-4AC3-AA64-3C7BF5C76956.jpeg
    37CD8F97-8CE8-4AC3-AA64-3C7BF5C76956.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
C

C1-10P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved him to my empty chamber in the sump because he couldn’t handle the power heads. He can’t even fight the flow in my fuge chamber and is held up against the divider. I feel bad because he was such an awesome fish and I read how they were so hardy, feel like I got him too early.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back