New tank for the 3’rd time.

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I just recently started my 55 saltwater up after having two failed attempts of getting it going. Both times I ended up doing something wrong that causes the tank to go wrong and fail. But, I’m determined to make it work. I recently started it back up, I cleaned out my filter, filled my tank up, and let it run with live rock from my buddy’s aquarium +some snails for 2 months without any lights on. About 1 in a half weeks ago i started the day/night cycle and added two clown fish. Currently i did a small water change 2 days ago, and i’ve been feeding every other day. I have ALOT of algae growth so far, (which i figured is normal) and would like to make sure i’m doing everything right and that my tank is in fact doing what it is suppose to be doing. I appreciate any feed back, here is some pics.

IMG_0458.jpeg IMG_0457.jpeg

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, def agree with more clean up crew. They would love to help you out with that algae. Copepods as well.

OP
OP
F

Fscarr2216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Update* good afternoon, wanted to give an update on the tank! so far the only thing that died was 2 emerald crabs. I got 3 turbo snails and they cleaned up aloot! But they leave so much feces in the tank. I’ve been doing weekly 5 gallon water changes, my parameters and salinity are still the same. Is there any suggestions on what i should do differently? Or does it seem like it’s going well. Thank you for the feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 18

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greets, tank is looking good so far! Having said that, I'll add a few things :).

1. reefcleaners.org should be on every Tank Owners Quick Links IMO. Go read about the CuC packages they recommend for your size tank. Dwarf Cerith snails are amazing additions to any tank since they eat almost all types of nuisence algae, I have over 270 in my tank.

2. Herbivore Fishes, you are limited by tank size to NO TANGS sadly, and they are my GO TO fish for Hair Algae control, research into Herbivore Options for your tank size.

3. Water Flow. A lot of people forget how important water flow really is. I see you have some powerheads going, so what I would look for is dead spots, places where the detritus collects on the sand. Try and eliminate those as much as possible. Your power heads should pick detritus up from the bottom and agitate it into the water column, so it goes thru your filters. Really good water flow eliminates the need to vaccuum your substrate.

I like the water change you are doing, I do a 20% change every week.

For me keeping a Marine Tank has been an adventure in Algae Management. I see Algae, I research what eats it, and start adding those critters to my tank. Seems to be working out ok so far.

Good Luck to you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back