New tank help

F19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started up my tank today.
Used caribsea sand , starting to settle and I'm seeing ALOT of what I think are small DEAD red colored worms ,FLOATING and some onto of the sand. what the heck should I be worried ?
I removed what I could that were floating, some went into filter area ,
Will they decay and go away? Doni have to manually remove? Can I get something to eat them. ? Please help

My tank is the Fluval 13.5 evo

OP
OP
F

F19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started up my tank today.
Used caribsea sand , starting to settle and I'm seeing ALOT of what I think are small DEAD red colored worms ,FLOATING and some onto of the sand. what the heck should I be worried ?
I removed what I could that were floating, some went into filter area ,
Will they decay and go away? Doni have to manually remove? Can I get something to eat them. ? Please help

My tank is the Fluval 13.5 evo

20171227_214101.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New one for me ... that sand should probably be fairly worm-free. #Reefsquad, anyone see anything like this before?

The silver lining is that the worms may provide a source of ammonia to start your nitrogen cycle.

~Bruce

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the "worms" moving/alive?

I'm bad with pictures, but to me this looks like the remains of dead bugs....maybe cockroaches. Could they have been nesting in the bag of sand?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there's some rock in the background of the picture - that true? If so - and if that was live rock of some sort - I would assume that the detritus came from that... Do you have more info on what else is in the tank?

OP
OP
F

F19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there's some rock in the background of the picture - that true? If so - and if that was live rock of some sort - I would assume that the detritus came from that... Do you have more info on what else is in the tank?

Just rock in the tank right now, (dead)
Dec. Came from sand.
There were also stick like things. (Almost small root like) that I removed as sand was going in

OP
OP
F

F19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the "worms" moving/alive?

I'm bad with pictures, but to me this looks like the remains of dead bugs....maybe cockroaches. Could they have been nesting in the bag of sand?

Dead. Not moving. And worm shape. Not bug shape

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had small worms come in with caribsea before- mabye #reefsquad can help you out?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen that in my sand. I wouldn't worry about it in a new tank. If they are worms they will break down and help your cycle. If it is some kind of algae or root it will also break down, just more slowly. If you don't like them, manual removal is always an option. Otherwise, let them decay away and give your cycle a boost.

OP
OP
F

F19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , I kinda freaked out because of the amount. When I get home I'm going to clean the filter and return pump, noticed small ones caught up in it.
I've had a 55g saltwater before and never experienced this either. The amount of them are crazy.

OP
OP
F

F19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , I kinda freaked out because of the amount. When I get home I'm going to clean the filter and return pump, noticed small ones caught up in it.
I've had a 55g saltwater before and never experienced this either. The amount of them are crazy.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the foreign matter (whatever it is) that sand looks incredibly 'dusty'. I'd want to rinse the heck out of it personally - but I suppose some people want the fines.

OP
OP
F

F19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the foreign matter (whatever it is) that sand looks incredibly 'dusty'. I'd want to rinse the heck out of it personally - but I suppose some people want the fines.

It is and I hate it. Lol. I' ripping it out ton8ght before I regret it. It's only a day old

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan - get it right from the start. Many people (me included, obviously) love Tropic Eden Reefflakes. I mixed the regular size with the miniflakes about 2:1. It is very clean out of the bag but I still rinsed.
https://premiumaquatics.com/category/dry-substrate.html

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back