OP
D

DHak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from a fellow former lurker. You're going to enjoy the interaction. An autodoser couldn't hurt, but either wayI'm sure you'll worry about your system the whole time you're gone. Do you know anyone you can trust to check up on it?
Unfortunately not unless I pay an LFS to do it. I think I would be less nervous leaving it to it's own devices than if I had a neighbor kid pop in. I'm considering the doser path but at the same token was also saving for an Apex eventually. I dont want to get a doser now to then not have it interface with the Apex.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not unless I pay an LFS to do it. I think I would be less nervous leaving it to it's own devices than if I had a neighbor kid pop in. I'm considering the doser path but at the same token was also saving for an Apex eventually. I dont want to get a doser now to then not have it interface with the Apex.
Makes perfect sense. Not sure what stand alone doser would be compatible with the APEX. Do you have an auto top off, or is evaporation not a big issue?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all, Amazing site, I've gotten this far due to lurking and BRS videos. [...]

Welcome to R2R!!! It looks like you are starting to check the important boxes...

Checkmark.gif

• Read R2R
  • Watch BRS videos
  • Setup Tank
  • Engage with the R2R community!
I'm glad you're here!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rather than stop for vacation, just reduce the amount of M/l per day (even one third). A little alk, etc is better than None at all).

signpj22-2.jpg

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense. Not sure what stand alone doser would be compatible with the APEX. Do you have an auto top off, or is evaporation not a big issue?
It can be. You set it up so that the Apex turns it off if the pH goes too high. Doesn’t matter the brand really. I run a Bubble Magus with an Apex. My pH never runs high. You can also leave the switch for your doser in the “always on” position.

Oh...welcome to the reef!

U

User1

View Badges
Suggestion if not already answered but have a family member or someone else you trust stop by your home to check on the tank. Or at least be available in case you get an alert if you have a controller enabled to do so. Actually, I'd strongly suggest having them stop by anyway because if there is a power outage or network failure if you have a controller you won't get the message anyway other than a heartbeat ping if it supports it.

This way they can top off ATO or dose or just take a 5 minute look to make sure key things are operational. First hand experience here back in 2001 when we went on a 3 week vacation. California brown outs, Enron, back to back power outages tripped our AC circuit breaker which lead to a hotter house, quicker evaporation, ATO running dry, etc. Chain of events over heated the tank so when we came home it was to the smell of rotten eggs due to the tanks situation.

Doesn't hurt to have someone stop by just in case.

OP
OP
D

DHak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I evaporate just under a gallon a day even with these glass lids it came with. I've got a decent sized ATO tank hidden in the back

20190504_123441.jpg

20190504_123640.jpg

OP
OP
D

DHak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion if not already answered but have a family member or someone else you trust stop by your home to check on the tank. Or at least be available in case you get an alert if you have a controller enabled to do so. Actually, I'd strongly suggest having them stop by anyway because if there is a power outage or network failure if you have a controller you won't get the message anyway other than a heartbeat ping if it supports it.

This way they can top off ATO or dose or just take a 5 minute look to make sure key things are operational. First hand experience here back in 2001 when we went on a 3 week vacation. California brown outs, Enron, back to back power outages tripped our AC circuit breaker which lead to a hotter house, quicker evaporation, ATO running dry, etc. Chain of events over heated the tank so when we came home it was to the smell of rotten eggs due to the tanks situation.

Doesn't hurt to have someone stop by just in case.
Oh man that's terrible. Thanks for the input. I am really considering just having one of the staff from our local LFS stop by a couple time over the 7 day period.

I will look into the bubble magnus as well.

Next step non-vacation related is to get the electrical away from the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back