New tank new bulkhead leaking!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I have a 125g aqueon reef ready. The two 3/4 bulkheads are leaking . They are brand new bulkheads. (not the ones that come with the plumbing kit). The two 1 inch bulkheads are fine. Everything is hard plumbed already.

I was filling the aquarium for the first time all the way, and they started dumping a massive amount of water. I used channel locks to tighten it pretty good. It doesn't leak right now. I was thinking of getting silicone and putting it around the bottom for extra safety.

I thought about loosing them, and trying to dry fit it again, but I'm not sure if I messed up the bulkhead or gasket with how tight it is. I'm not sure exactly what I should do. I know you aren't supposed to over tighten, but that is only what made it stop leaking.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try to loosen them and retighten them again. Remember don’t wrench down on them just snug them up. If you go to tight your breaking the seal. If they still leak after that then I would try silicone as a last resort!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the glass really clean? It needs to be.

If installed correctly, and the parts aren't deformed, there is no reason for silicone.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lube them with silicone grease then reinstall them. What can happen is the seal twists in a way that allows for a leak. the silicone lube will allow the ring to slide if it twists. they sell it at home depot. it is called plumbers grease, silicone grease, or faucet grease.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not 100% sure but I believe Aqueon tanks are designed to accept 4 1in Schedule 40 bulkheads. I would double check to make sure the size is correct.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked with an empty Aqueon 75 I have and it is drilled to take only 1in bulkheads. The bulkheads may be leaking because they are miss-sized.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get them fixed before you start putting in fish and corals. You will regret it if you don't.
Lol it’s dumping water and they’re here talking about fixing it. Pretty sure that’s the goal before fish...

Did you crack any of the bulkheads. Don’t think you’re supposed to use channel locks to tighten. You risk breaking glass or the bulkhead. Hand tighten only.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure exactly what I should do. I know you aren't supposed to over tighten, but that is only what made it stop leaking.
[/QUOTE]

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tighten until you start thinking of swear words or remind yourself that you are getting old.

Seriously though, take a step back, put down the 24" pumbing wrench and do the following.
1. Take the bulkheads out and inspect them for burrs or flagrant warping.
2. Lubricate the seal with silicone grease
3. Reinstall and hand tighten. Maybe a 1/4 turn or two with channel locks.

If you are "hurking" on them, something is wrong and could spell trouble later.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to loosen them and retighten them again. Remember don’t wrench down on them just snug them up. If you go to tight your breaking the seal. If they still leak after that then I would try silicone as a last resort!

What he said. You're only supposed to snug them up a bit. Maybe a quarter turn past tight.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So i cleaned them and realigned it. One sealed, the other didn't. Basically on the one that didn't seal the plumbing was pushing it slightly to the side so I readjusted the pipe to take the torque off it. I also did a thin silicone around the outside for good measure.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i cleaned them and realigned it. One sealed, the other didn't. Basically on the one that didn't seal the plumbing was pushing it slightly to the side so I readjusted the pipe to take the torque off it. I also did a thin silicone around the outside for good measure.
You used a silicone grease not a silicone sealant right.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back