New Tank, New Ocellaris, sleeping behavior

hanslanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm currently 4 days into owning 4 Ocellaris i added to a fresh aquarium setup. I'm currently fowlr, but do plan on maturing to coral later on. I have about 60lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon with around 2 inches of sand. I have two pretty strong power-heads, and my sump return for flow. Probably a total theoretical of around 7500 l/h. Now this could be too much if it is even that high in reality.

My issue
----------

The 4 clowns are doing very well as far as eating, so far gone through around 8 feedings. During the day they seem to really enjoy the water flow, swimming back and forth between the two main currents i have set up. They don't venture into the rocks much, which i do find odd. These are little guys (about 0.75"-1"). Now during the day they swim away, but at night i'm noticing this bizarre behavior of sleeping in the corner of the tank glass. All 4 pile on top of each other and they do their sleep thing on top of my thermometer. Its funny looking haha. Attaching pictures.

Is my current too high? It is higher i guess for little fish like this. But they don't seem to mind it, like i said they seem to enjoy it, often jumping in-front of the powerhead to do some fast swimming.

Eating habits are good, they are lively, by all accounts they seem healthy to me other than their sleeping form haha.

image1 (2).jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so cool to see a group of them sleeping like that in the corner. LOL. Clowns are weird. I've had singles do that. Later they will pick out spots in the tank that are more normal in behavior.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns typically don't hide in rocks. They spend most if not all their time out and about. They also dont find cover for sleep. They usually rest in hosted corals, power heads, corners, floating, or anywhere out in the open they feel comfortable.

OP
OP
H

hanslanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Sounds like its perfectly normal and it is, if anything, more evidence of them being in good health. Makes me happy they are doing well!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back