New tank not how I ordered. What to do ?

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a couple custom tanks to stack onto one another from a reputable dealer. When I got them the plumbing is for 3/4” drain and 1/2” return. I originally wanted 1” drain and 3/4 return.
The way it was sent to me isn’t what I ordered and won’t fit my needs. I contacted the company and they want to send me a guide to drill the holes myself to the correct size. As of now that’s their solution but I don’t want to drill these custom brand new tank.
what do you think I should do?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they going to credit you for you taking the time to drill the holes?

If you crack or chip out the holes while drilling are they then going to guarantee and replace the tanks?

Depending on the size of these tanks and the freight costs - Ship them back at their expense and let them drill them.

Dave B

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to move ahead, work out a deal in case it cracks, get it in an email and verbal. Video record yourself doing it.

Or, they can pay for someone to come drill them for you.

Or, they send a new tank and have that one picked up.

epidemos82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sound like that is very frustrating. Honestly, their solution is probably the easiest. The other options are they replace it completely (not likely) or you ship the tank back to them to enlarge the holes (not practical). If you are uncomfortable with drilling the holes, find a local glass shop and have them do it for you using the template the company provides. Perhaps you could ask them to reimburse the cost of enlarging the holes via a partial refund of your original purchase. Good luck and hope it works out!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everyone on this one, this is their fault completely. In no way should you be responsible for doing the work they should have done in the first place. They should both guarantee the tank and also partially reimburse you if you have to drill the tank, if not they need to figure out a way to get the tank shipped back and cut by them or pay for someone to come and cut the glass for you.
Really disrespectful of the company to ask you to drill the tank yourself unless they asked you if you were comfortable doing it first

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope they offered me 100 off my next order.
that is pretty disgusting of them. I would try to write to them that you arent comfortable drilling it, that is why you paid for the holes to be drilled and see if you can take the route of them paying for the tank to be drilled by a local glass store or a refund if they arent willing to help. Worst case you can actually dispute the charge on your credit card if they refuse to help and telling you to do the work on the custom product that you paid for

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope they offered me 100 off my next order.
Bad business, I would try to reason with them. Ask them to provide a local glass company to drill the holes and pay for it. Ask to ship it back on their dime and correct the problem. Ask to ship it back on their dime for a full refund. If that does not work, let them know that you will raise a horrible internet campaign (on every social media platform) exposing their inability to fulfill a simple order correctly. This is why they exist. To take an order AND deliver it correctly. If I cannot do that in my line of work, I get fired from the job and eat the costs.

Basic business principles have not been followed here.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the hole dimensions communicated via email or elsewhere in writing as part of the order? If so, it's on them to fix and I wouldn't take any risk, time or cost.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you decide to do in this matter, GET IT IN WRITING!!!

If you have the tank drilled by a professional, or drill it yourself, have the company, on official correspondence, state that they will amend their warranty for this instance in case something happens.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
You ordered a product that was incorrect. Ask for them to correct it. If their solution is correct it yourself get it in writing that replacement will be issued if it breaks/damages while you do the modification. If uncomfortable with doing it yourself request they do it or send replacement. If all other options fail, file dispute through credit card of payment. You ordered something and got something else. They will likely resolve it.

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got jacked around by fijicube and brs for a factory issue. Don't settle at all

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What company is it? This type of thing deserves to be called out since they have already offered you an unsatisfactory solution. A reputable company would offer money off of this order, not a future order, and they would also work with you to your satisfaction in getting either the holes drilled to the proper dimensions by a professional, or shipping you new tanks built to the proper specifications.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ordered a couple custom tanks to stack onto one another from a reputable dealer. When I got them the plumbing is for 3/4” drain and 1/2” return. I originally wanted 1” drain and 3/4 return.
The way it was sent to me isn’t what I ordered and won’t fit my needs. I contacted the company and they want to send me a guide to drill the holes myself to the correct size. As of now that’s their solution but I don’t want to drill these custom brand new tank.
Risk and liability comes into play. If you wanted to drill the tank- you would have ordered it undrilled.
Not being nasty but they need to make it right and they know this. Theyre trying to avoid return and art the end of the day, they need to have it picked up- made to your specs and return it to you or have them pay someone local to you to perform the fix.
You break or crack it and its then negligence.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also return for a refund and if they refuse dispute of the credit card company immediately

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be completely fine if they sent me the template and bit to drill the holes, So long as I had in writing from the company that if the process damages the tanks, They will be replacing them at their cost.

Without that I would not touch them.

And WOW AT THE COMMENTS so far.. I thought I was a prick. Some of y'all are Brutal.. mistakes happen.. it sounds like a Negotiation to get it taken care of. threaten to sue.... Are you kidding me....

Out of everything I would prefer them to overnight me the stuff to fix it myself rather than wait weeks to months for a round trip return..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back