New tank old fish

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm upgrading from a 110g to a 250g in the next month or two and wondering how to introduce some fish to the new population. I have a yellow tang a leopard wrasse, a melanurus, and a few fairy wrasses. They are all going in 2x40 breeder sized tanks for a month or two while the tank gets established. So I have some time to bring new fish through quarantine at around the same time.

I'd like to introduce a few other tangs and wrasses, but I have the opportunity to have a new environment where nobody is the boss. My question is who should I hold back so they're not territorial? I'd particularly like to add a sailfin tang and maybe another leopard. The fairy wrasses and clowns I'd put in first as I'm not worried about their aggression, but should I hold the yellow tang and leopard back so that I can give the quarantined newcomers a fair shot? Thanks!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin, no matter when you add him will become king. I have a gorgeous sailfin in my 260 but i threaten to boot him weekly.

I dont think it will be a huge deal really, you can always use some the standards tricks when introducing new fish with established bosy fish.

Mirrors, temporary rock work, etc..

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, not waiting will help a lot with the timing, I'm excited to be able to add some larger fish this time that wouldn't have had room last time. I'm not absolutely set on a sailfin tang, but I know that I want more than just the yellow tang. Hopefully with all the new swimming room they'll be less aggressive. I plan on doing a lot of open space with the new tank for lps and such.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend adding the new and old leopard simultaneously.

Depending on the size of the yellow and the size of the sailfin you may add them simultaneously, or if the sailfin is smaller add it first, then the yellow.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to do a wish list and plan it out. There were a few fish that I had to take out due to various reasons and although a sailfin is on my wish list, what I learned the first the first time around was that it's crucial to make a plan ahead of time, get advice, and stick to it (don't make impulse buys) as you or the other fish will regret it. Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back