New Tank Please HELP!

Rikki Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest finding out your return policy with the store An return the fish before they die and find a better store! your live rock will die off enough to help you cycle the tank you can pick up brine shrimp eggs and dose the tank 1/4 tsp every other day and partial water changes in between, but most of all research and patience is key

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re gonna get salt creep...not much you can do about it with your current setup

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday24 is their anything i can add inside of the hob filter for better filtration in the mean time?

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday24 is their anything i can add inside of the hob filter for better filtration in the mean time?

Activated carbon wouldn’t be a bad idea. They might make a filter for your pelican, or you could see if you can fit a small bad of it inside the filter possibly. I’ve never used a HOB, only seen them in boxes so I don’t know how much room you’d have.

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOB filter has 4 slots which i only use 2 for filter pads so i can fit a bag of activated carbon on the second slot. For the meantime i did add another penguin 350 so i have 2 penguin 350's running on the tank

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been 8 days since my water change.. i notice a change in Nitrite. Ammonia is tough to read should i do another water change?

IMG_6809.jpg

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been 8 days since my water change.. i notice a change in Nitrite. Ammonia is tough to read should i do another water change?

IMG_6809.jpg

No, I would double check with another test for nitrite, nitrite indicates you not fully cycled, which would explain my concern previously about your low nitrates after a cycle.

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should do another test for nitrite?. I think everything else looks fine?

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to make sure your reading is correct. For a full cycle you should initially see a rise in ammonia, followed by a rise in nitrite, followed by a rise in nitrate. As the cycle finishes you should have no ammonia and nitrite, and have high nitrates, then you would do water changes to bring nitrates down. Having nitrite in the water still indicates the tank isn’t cycled. After a completed cycle you should really never see ammonia and nitrite again due to your tank having an appropriate level of bacteria.

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea but 3 weeks ago i did have a rise of ammonia nitrate and nitrite then it stables out for 3 weeks. if you see my previous post nitrite was like 5.0.. Do you see it as a toxic level or i mean it doesnt even look like 0.25 cause its too light. What would i do at this point other than retest?

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would just let it go until it reaches 0 again. It’s low enough it’s not at a toxic level. It could just be your bioload catching up to the fish in the tank and the amount your feeding.

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think i should add some prime? i did add 2 new fish to the tank a few days ago. or should i be testing everyday to see the progress

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also did clip some seeweed in the tank but it did make a mess in the tank i wonder if that could have affected

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add prime, you could add more bacteria if you have it. But just let the tank do it’s thing naturally so it can stabilize. Added fish are probably the cause, you bioload is trying to catch up again.

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time you add a fish you add another ammonia source and the good bacteria have to increase its population to keep the tank stable.

OP
OP
B

BigBoss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may have added 2 many at a time, i added a goby about a week ago, then i added 2 clowns and 2 angelfish then i didint add anything else and dont plan to either

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back