MICU murse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey r2r,
This is the first post of many to come detailing the startup and maintenance of my first saltwater tank. I'm mostly ignorant to the process other than what I have read online and I'm always receptive to tips and tricks. My setup was bought second hand includes this far:
-55 gallon tank
-2 led lights ( I will have to look up serial numbers and I will repost with exact lights)
-filstar xp3 filter
-2 power heads
-1 heater (not sure how many watts but has done the job for the last few days)
I have had my tank running with nothing in it for a few days to ensure all my equipment was operational and with no notable failure (other than failed gaskets in my filter) I began seeding my tank today. I heavily rinsed my broken up coral substrate and live dry rock. I soaked the rock for 2 days changing the water out a few times to ensure lower phosphate levels. I added about 10 lbs of coral bits, 10 lbs live sand (unrinsed), 25 lbs dry rock, 3 lbs live rock from my local pet store, and I also added per manufacturer instruction Bacter gen m (a bacterial solution). Just for the sake of doing it I measured all the parameters I had tester kits for which include:
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 8
Kh 196 (11)
Phosphate 0
Calcium 480
Spec grav 1.024
Temp 78

After testing I added about 1 large pinch of fish food to boost my ammonia. I am also keeping a record book with all of these values, when I tested it; and any interventions or changes I made that day. I won't test all my parameters every day but I just got a little over zealous since I'm excited I'm finally getting the cycling process underway. As I said before I'm a total novice and would love to have advice. I've already learned a lot but I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. Feel free to send questions, advice, or requests for more info about the tank and I will do my best to answer and keep the thread up to date. Thanks r2r and I look forward to hearing everyone's input.

IMG_0304.JPG

OP
OP
MICU murse

MICU murse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first couple days of water tests. Each day I have been adding bac bottle per manufacturer recommendation and I have also been lightly ghost feeding my tank once per day. I'm letting my water concentrate slightly to get my spec grav get closer to 1.025 then I will stabilize it there. Any feedback, questions or advice is always welcome. Stay tuned for future updates.

IMG_0315.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back