SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I finally am on my way to setting up a NEW TANK!! i have a 16g BioCube LED, which I thought was brand new, but now I’m seeing it’s been used. It’s been drained, vacuumed and wiped out but I’m currently running it full with no heater, no filtration in it, just the pump with water and some white vinegar. Some stuff came with this new (preowned) tank and I’m not sure where it goes or what it’s for. i attached a picture.

so I’m just wondering - what are these cartridges? What is it for? Where do I put them? Do I need them?

besides the cartridges, all I have for this tank is the pump and the power cords for the pump/lights.

i have to clean it so I’m about to flush the pump with more vinegar and then rinse and use some water conditioner, but after I’ve done that, I’m really unsure about my filtration that’s gonna be needed.

can anyone give my some ideas or suggestions for the type of filtration I should use? My goal is a mixed reef, but I don’t plan on getting any hard-to-keep corals at this time. Maybe some mushrooms, torches, hammers, frogspawns, but that’s about the extent of my goal for now.

Thank you!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a double action filter cartridge with mechanical filtration and carbon. There must be a slot somewhere in your filter or tank to insert it.

You should use it unless you have another way to do mechanical filtration. Carbon isn’t necessary at this stage but it won’t hurt anything.

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a double action filter cartridge with mechanical filtration and carbon. There must be a slot somewhere in your filter or tank to insert it.

You should use it unless you have another way to do mechanical filtration. Carbon isn’t necessary at this stage but it won’t hurt anything.
Yup - it goes in the first compartment in the "Sump" where the water overflows from the tank into the filtration area. I have seen a lot of people convert this chamber into a spot for a protein skimmer and stick filter floss in chamber 2 for mechanical filtration. On my 24 gallon, I don't use any mechanical filtration, but that is up to the person maintaining the tank!

If you do use it - you will want to make sure you keep it clean by rinsing it in tank water during water changes (just like ensuring filter socks are kept clean on a larger system).

Is this your first tank?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I finally am on my way to setting up a NEW TANK!! i have a 16g BioCube LED, which I thought was brand new, but now I’m seeing it’s been used. It’s been drained, vacuumed and wiped out but I’m currently running it full with no heater, no filtration in it, just the pump with water and some white vinegar. Some stuff came with this new (preowned) tank and I’m not sure where it goes or what it’s for. i attached a picture.

so I’m just wondering - what are these cartridges? What is it for? Where do I put them? Do I need them?

besides the cartridges, all I have for this tank is the pump and the power cords for the pump/lights.

i have to clean it so I’m about to flush the pump with more vinegar and then rinse and use some water conditioner, but after I’ve done that, I’m really unsure about my filtration that’s gonna be needed.

can anyone give my some ideas or suggestions for the type of filtration I should use? My goal is a mixed reef, but I don’t plan on getting any hard-to-keep corals at this time. Maybe some mushrooms, torches, hammers, frogspawns, but that’s about the extent of my goal for now.

Thank you!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Middle section of the tank, there is a plastic riser/basket. The filter gets placed there with the handle/ring facing the chamber where the return pump is and the white filter material facing up.

If no basket/riser in the middle section, you can buy a replacement of you can buy an InTank media basket to replace. The In-Tank media basket is considered an upgrade and does not use those cartirges. It would be something like filter floss in the first/top section, carbon in a bag or GFO in the second/middle section, ceramic bio media in the bottom/third for example.

I do recommend doing the upgrade, as it is more cost up front, but pays for itself, as those filters get expensive over time. A big bag of polyfill and a large package of carbon lasts a long time for cheaper.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my many biocube 16s. You can see it is the middle section. I am using filter floss in the stock basket for this tank with some egg crate below it, then a bag of carbon and then a DIY fuge at the bottom.

IMG_7369.JPG

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add, depending on the age of the biocube, it could be in the first chamber. Would need a pic to be sure. If it is the first chamber, it will slide into slots in that chamber.

Like this, but with the white facing the intake.

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 11.13.43 AM.png

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Idech , @Eagle_Steve and @Lividfanatica for your great info and replies!!!

this is not my first tank officially, but it’s the first tank I will be starting from scratch and cycling myself. I have an older model BioCube 16 that’s running now, but I got it used and it was already stocked with a fish & CUC, plus filtration stuff and basically ready to go. I have mentioned it in my build thread if you want more background, but it’s not in good condition. I got it from my dad, who bought it off some lady, and long story short, I’m gonna be taking it down and selling it once I get this NEW BioCube 16 LED (the one I’m referencing in this post) up and running.

So, while it’s not my “first” tank, it’s certainly going to serve as my first tank that I clean, cycle, and basically build on my own…instead of being like the other one that I’ve done nothing with besides keep my animals alive lol. It’s got too many problems and not worth the struggle anymore.

I can send some pics in a bit - right now it’s got a mix of water/vinegar running thru it. The pump hose is caked with algae and there was some debris stuck in there so I wanted to make sure it’s clean of any and all crap beforehand lol. I do want to get a media basket for sure, but I also am going to be using the 3rd (right side) chamber for my heater - Eheim Jager - because I know it’ll stay submerged while in that chamber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back