New to ABQ. How is evaporation here with a rimless?

IzzyT3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is evaporation here with a rimless 100-120 gallon? I came from Colorado where I had to have a lid on no matter what because of how quickly I lost water and am just trying to see if here is any better. This place is more humid than where i was by about 15%, so I'm guessing it's a little less of a problem.

Jrvaldeznm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is evaporation here with a rimless 100-120 gallon? I came from Colorado where I had to have a lid on no matter what because of how quickly I lost water and am just trying to see if here is any better. This place is more humid than where i was by about 15%, so I'm guessing it's a little less of a problem.

That depends on a number of things such as ambient temperature of the room your tank is in and the relative humidity of your room. To give you an idea, I refill my 5 gallon ATO reservoir biweekly on a 25 gallon AIO. I would guess the evaporation rates will be comparable.

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also new to New Mexico from PA, are you guys aware of any local reef clubs or stores other than reef-licious or southwest reef co.?

Jrvaldeznm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also new to New Mexico from PA, are you guys aware of any local reef clubs or stores other than reef-licious or southwest reef co.?
Welcome! There is not a formal club per say to my knowledge, but the reefing community is very active on FB and people meet up to help frag and talk shop regularly. Some of the pages that I follow include: New Mexico Aquarium Community, A.A.C. Albuquerque Aquarium Club, Southwest Saltwater, Albuquerque Reef Keepers, and the New Mexico Reef Club.

As for other aquarium specific stores, those are the only shows in town to my knowledge, and they primarily cater to saltwater hobbyists. Clark's Pet Emporium is a decent pet shop and has a nice selection of freshwater fish, I prefer the Menaul location. There are some PetCo's with knowledgable aquarium sales associates as well, I like the ones on Lomas and on the Westside. Hope this helps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back