New to aquarium setup, how's this aquascape?

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to all of this, but diving head first into it. I've been reading up on it for 2 months, watching videos, reading threads, etc... Here's my first attempt at an aquascape, I'm interested in opinions. Is this a good setup for fish and coral? Is it weird to have Pukani on one side and Tonga branch on another. I've never seen another setup like that by browsing the forums, but I think it looks cool. But maybe there is something fundamentally wrong with it or it's ugly to the rest of the world :) Honest opinions please, even if they are brutal, I can take it!

Let me know, thanks!

20161031_223404.jpg

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your tank. It only matters if you like it. I do think it looks a little odd with all of the branching stuff on the one side.

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big and what size is your tank. that may be ok for a 20 gallon, but depends on tank size.

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try and mix all the pieces together, that flat rock can make a good overhang which will add shadows and make a more dynamic aquascape.

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 75 gallon. In that image, from left to right is 44" since the total tank length is 48". The tank is 18" wide and 20" highj

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say about 75-125 lbs depending on what kind of rock

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not necessarily need a lot of rock. A little can go a long way in being able to host sufficient bacteria for the tank.

I like your first attempt. I like the balance between to two islands. I don't think you necessarily need to mix the rock type. Like someone else said, if it's visually appealing to you that's what matters.

For fish and coral, I think the first question is how stable is the struture. If it can fall it will. I personally try to keep the amount of gluing rocks together to a minimum while still achieving a structure I cant topple even when I put my weight on it. I do that so I can pull out my strutcture if it comes to that. Something will go wrong, like getting bryopsis, that will make you want to pull stuff out at some point.

The other design goals I have are overhangs and pass throughs in the rock. Anytime I have created either the fish seem to dig those features.

My only design goal for coral placement is keep the pieces as far apart as possible. Basically create more spaces and surface area. I landed an a two island design much like yours in my current tank.

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Once the coralline and mulm and corals cover it, youll never notice any of the minor flaws.
Plus your going to find small colonies on rock later. I think your good to go.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R:) you've joined a great SW community. As several members have said if you like it that's what counts and I think it's a great start. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember I used care so much about how my rock looks. After a couple years in the hobby, when the coral would literally take over the rock, it isn't something I concern myself with anymore.

Placement of coral is more important then the rock formation, but then one could argue that the rock formation dictate the coral placement.

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make it stable and sturdy. I personally like caves for my fish to go in but that's not everyone's thing. Do what makes you happy.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not mine but will give you an idea what has been said about coral placement and rock design. What you imagine it will look like with corals etc. appears to be important. I also like overhangs or bridges but this design did not need them. Hope this gives you some ideas.

upload_2016-11-3_7-36-25.png

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would be your big island on the right; not a lot of space for water to flow through, which could give you some spots of dead flow behind the rocks, depending on how much space there is between the back of the rock and the wall of the tank. If you can fit a gravel vac behind the island, you should be fine. Otherwise, you risk having a lot of detritus piling up behind that island and contributing to algae growth as it decays.

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good link on aquascaping basics and how to get a more dynamic looking aquarium. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/311811-tips-and-tricks-on-creating-amazing-aquascapes/ I've referred to this thread and others like it quite often, ultimately it comes down to what you like the best but there are tips and tricks that make a dynamic scape - such as the rule of thirds.

Thanks for the link - I'm planning a nuvo 50, and this article gave me some good strategies for the rock design!

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great and I was also thinking about branching rock on my next build. Good work.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back