New to dosing kalkwasser

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using reef crystals for salt, api for test kits and a refractometer
Do you have a calibration solution for the refractometer and do you calibrate frequently? As someone who has been around marine systems for decades, and having been caught fixing symptoms and not the root cause, making sure you are starting with the simple things is important. I had a number of issues a few years ago, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out my calibration solution was leaking and I was trying to figure out why my salinity was constantly changing.

RC mixes up way way high in Alk, Ca and Mg. I am surprised you are all the way down to 7dKH and 360ppm Ca. Hence the salinity questions.

If you are certain salinity measurement is correct, then I would still do some more water changes instead of raising the levels with Ca mixture and NaCO3. The reason is that if your other levels are so far from where they should be with that salinity, then Mg, and everything else is bound to be off a bit as well. And water changes generally don't hurt anything, unless you are bringing Nitrogen and Phosphorous too low, or salinity and temperature aren't proper.

If you don't feel like any more water changes, adding Ca and CO3 is the next best thing for sure.

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a calibration solution for the refractometer and do you calibrate frequently? As someone who has been around marine systems for decades, and having been caught fixing symptoms and not the root cause, making sure you are starting with the simple things is important. I had a number of issues a few years ago, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out my calibration solution was leaking and I was trying to figure out why my salinity was constantly changing.

RC mixes up way way high in Alk, Ca and Mg. I am surprised you are all the way down to 7dKH and 360ppm Ca. Hence the salinity questions.

If you are certain salinity measurement is correct, then I would still do some more water changes instead of raising the levels with Ca mixture and NaCO3. The reason is that if your other levels are so far from where they should be with that salinity, then Mg, and everything else is bound to be off a bit as well. And water changes generally don't hurt anything, unless you are bringing Nitrogen and Phosphorous too low, or salinity and temperature aren't proper.

If you don't feel like any more water changes, adding Ca and CO3 is the next best thing for sure.
I did a homemade calibration solution With table salt and measured with a gram scale. I have a good bit of lps and a few sps and the sps hasn’t been doing so good. My monti cap hasn’t grown in 5 months and is white which red polyps. and I have 0 nitrate and phosphate due to a low bioload which made me want to start testing and found my cal and alk are low .

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a homemade calibration solution With table salt and measured with a gram scale. I have a good bit of lps and a few sps and the sps hasn’t been doing so good. My monti cap hasn’t grown in 5 months and is white which red polyps. and I have 0 nitrate and phosphate due to a low bioload which made me want to start testing and found my cal and alk are low .
All good info. I will try to address them if that helps. Keep in mind there are all sorts of ways to do these things, I am probably not the best to be helping but I will try.

That calibration fluid from Dr. H-F is great, so you should be good there. In that case, I stand by my water change suggestion. If levels are that far off of RC levels, it seems like a great idea to do something like 6 water changes of 15% over the next few weeks instead of adjusting everything separately. I suggest finding a way to supplement carbonates and Ca at the same time. Either a dosing pump with a high flow rate to dose kalkwasser separately from topoff, or a three part solution with NaCO3 on one doser, CaCl on another, and Mg and minor/traces on the third. The most cost effective of those is the Tropic Marin NaCl Free Salt.

Low N and P are a problem, but feeding more helps without a doubt. Just try to be consistent with feeding and watch your levels as you increase feeding rates. White corals are a bad sign, must be pretty low, get some food in there! Are you running GFO?

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good info. I will try to address them if that helps. Keep in mind there are all sorts of ways to do these things, I am probably not the best to be helping but I will try.

That calibration fluid from Dr. H-F is great, so you should be good there. In that case, I stand by my water change suggestion. If levels are that far off of RC levels, it seems like a great idea to do something like 6 water changes of 15% over the next few weeks instead of adjusting everything separately. I suggest finding a way to supplement carbonates and Ca at the same time. Either a dosing pump with a high flow rate to dose kalkwasser separately from topoff, or a three part solution with NaCO3 on one doser, CaCl on another, and Mg and minor/traces on the third. The most cost effective of those is the Tropic Marin NaCl Free Salt.

Low N and P are a problem, but feeding more helps without a doubt. Just try to be consistent with feeding and watch your levels as you increase feeding rates. White corals are a bad sign, must be pretty low, get some food in there! Are you running GFO?
I’m just running a skimmer but i turned it off and set it to 12 hours a day to see if that helps. Why do you suggest water changes instead of dosing??

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just running a skimmer but i turned it off and set it to 12 hours a day to see if that helps. Why do you suggest water changes instead of dosing??
Well, really I am suggesting both. Like I said before, I am worried that other elements are off as well like Mg, K, Sr, Br, etc. etc. In particular, if Mg is low you will struggle to get Ca and alkalinity up as it will just precipitate. But dosing what you can measure is just fine as well. Hope all goes well! :)

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, really I am suggesting both. Like I said before, I am worried that other elements are off as well like Mg, K, Sr, Br, etc. etc. In particular, if Mg is low you will struggle to get Ca and alkalinity up as it will just precipitate. But dosing what you can measure is just fine as well. Hope all goes well! :)
Awesome thank you for all of the help!!

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have affordable recommendations on a dosing pump? I don’t really know much about them.
Have multiple Hyggar products. $75 on Amazon. I would replace the lines as the provided lines are not long

Attachments

• 0C2CF678-0315-4AC7-B279-41E56522F207.jpeg
    0C2CF678-0315-4AC7-B279-41E56522F207.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 23

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back