New to Hobby 120 Build

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this tank a few months back and I am just sharing my build on R2R. I initially started my build in my local Saltwater groups forum.

Ok so wanted to share some of my progress on the new build I'm working on. It is still in the works and will be a few weeks before anything even gets wet.

I have been a freshwater guy for a few years and I got sucked into the hobby so I even stepped my freshwater game up to being a cheaper less intense version of saltwater. Sumps, Refugiums, Gyres, Apex, C02 and the likes. But now I have been talked into saltwater by one of my buddies and now I'm doomed.

So here goes my initial design and build of my 120 salt setup.

This tank is your typical 48" by 24" 120 setup with a nice canopy and Peninsula setup. This is the tank below (Empty and that's not my house)
received_10210318588112285_zpsb2lwxcdd.jpeg

I was shooting for the Peninsula look as well with the new setup but this ended up not working in my home.

So I sort of started from the beginning with water and purchased and set up the RODI unit. BRStv's videos are addicting so I went with the triple DI setup to ensure I am not starting with bad water. I even hooked just the RO side to the refrigerator to make the other member of the house happy. Since this picture it has changed by quite a bit and actually have the expansion tank set after my RO stages. Seems to keep the pressure high so that when it runs through the DI stages it has a bit more oomph.
20180227_220841_zpsxswb2cov.jpg
(Sorry about it being sideways.)
I had a perfectly good sump ready and waiting for the tank but I watch too many internet posts and read too many forums so i had my LFS Aquatica build me a custom sump with some serious space for a nice refugium. These were my initial plans I sent over and it actually worked out very well.
Sump_zpsrxz98ppd.jpg

So very simple sump just nice and large. second chamber is for the protein skimmer and the third is the refugium. Lastly the return pump will be in the final chamber. I already have the Vetra M1 pump and reef link so I am just moving them to this tank. My buddy brought me out to lear where i ended up winning the XR30W Radion light which I traded a buddy for 2 x AI primes with mounts so that I could use the aquatic Life T5 Hybrid. It already had 2 x 1 1/2" Bulkhead holes drilled on the opposing side of the tank for the overflow so I picked up 2 x H2 Overflows. I have one set up with a trickle (loud trickle I need to add foam) and the other at full siphon. i will be running the Apex jr on this setup as I already have it and a few probes for PH and temp. I don't plan on chasing the PH but I do want it in the correct zone so to say. I am out of town often so I am running the Auto Aqua AWC plus ATO to keep the tank as stable as possible. I don't mind doing the big water changes when the tank needs it but I really want this tank to be as stable as possible. Right now I am changing about 3% every other day as I have not setup the schedule yet and am still doing it manually until I trust this thing. Its still only the push of a button so its not like it bothers me.

Picked up the sump from Aquatica and Steve Shin did an awesome job! Should run at 42 gallons with room for another 32 in case of power outage. Good guy gave me a great deal on this custom build too.
74c0fc53bd039888b755c0209be92a35.jpg
869a0cb63b2dc0b528e711fc6b64b868.jpg
132b8721b33528fb6e2b15b27e2e7a9e.jpg

New bulkheads to fit the giant holes in the tank and plumbing has began! Like always i forgot a few fittings so i had to make the home depot trip multiple times.

I weighed the 300 dollar kessil 380 option against a horticulture light made for indoor growing (medicinal plants) lol. And the horticulture light won for 70 bucks. I know alot of people go with cfl bulbs and clip on lights but after watching brstv I chose more wattage and spectrum instead of starving the macro of light. Stole someones design off youtube and used magnets to hang it.(45lb ratings) so 180 lbs of magnet power. Figure that will help me move the light if ever needed without having to fight with it. (I pulled on the light pretty hard and its not moving without me detaching them)

Picked up my t5/led hybrid light and bulbs as well. So this will run with 4 T5's and 3 ai primes as i traded 1 big light for 3 smaller lights. T5s will be 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus.

698e60cd8b08e01405b2163784a6eb0a.jpg
8bb8fd6afd4f05613edf70eeeec82bdf.jpg
82f08b44d9a39f7ed231af939e2db941.jpg
441a1cda19bfffc50c2f1a0637d0702b.jpg
6c832699e6c853818b4a1964ac458e8b.jpg

Coral pro Salt as I figure I can deal with the elvelated levels easier than dealing with low levels. May switch to the man made clean salts one day when my corals are extremely costly.

Also grabbed a 1/2 cubic foot of marine pure cubes so I outlined the entire refugium in them and made a pile in the reactor chamber for a secondary place.

Still not sure if the marine pure cubes are in a good location around the mud like that but it may work out well for the pods to hide and breed.

http://c-sea.org/forums/attachments/20180501_180936-jpg.1697/

This will be a mixed reef as I am not used to alkalinity and or magnesium so I will work my way up to some of the higher demanding SPS at some point. But as I do like Softies and a few LPS I will be starting with the lower demanding ones. Started the tank with BRS Bulk Reef Saver and some live rock from some club members and my brother in laws tank. His LR was awesome to use since he has had no fish in it for almost a year, just a cycled salt water tank. That made for a nice pest free bacteria starter.

I truly want some cool fish in this build with little to no predators. But i really like those trigger fish!!!!!! I mean I reeeally like those triggers!!! But either way i want my refugium to be packed full of pods and have them overflowing into the tank in such an unsightly way that the only way to take care of their out of control growth is to get a mandarin goby. If that doesn't happen than i will stick with easier to care for fish with some personality.

I went with 3/4 the recommended amount of Miracle mud and an aragonite Sugar sand for the rest in the refugium area to save some cash. At the 6 month mark or so I will probably add that last 1/4 of MM. I have seen all the people online questioning miracle mud but I have yet to see one person that has it and speaks badly of it so I figured i would give it a try and hope for the best. My skimmer is rated for 200 gallons and I am running it 6 hours a day during daylight hours.

First Rock Layout (Not much changed really) I did place flat stones on top of tonga branches to create some free space under the rocks. this is where the Shrimp goby and Pistol shrimp combo have made a home. I think its more of a apartment complex so I am thinking of adding another goby. If they don't get along I will return it but there is a ton of space for them so they may be fine.
53702ce253dbbd2fe31bf8778efb546c.jpg

Almost there. Still have to play with the rocks and add some more. I have it but now i'm starting to get picky with what the rocks look like and placement. Great flow and shimmer so far. Still need some ledges and more caves though. Also belive i want some magnetic ledges and frag racks on my black wall.

The hybrid light and 2 ai primes really do look awesome at this point though. If more is needed i may grab a ai twenty six but i think the par is already in the low sps range. I kept it lights out for about 2 weeks to avoid algae. (Diatom bloom was heavy when they did come on though, still fighting some but nowhere near where it was.

Jumped the gun a bit on the cycling (few weeks vs the 8 I planned) added 5 snails and tigger pods in and they survived perfectly fine with plenty of bottled bacteria, live rock, live sand, and general life to keep it rolling. Even tossed in some chateo and whatever the grass caluerpa is.

c61acb2cd612fb18de3a0125240108c1.jpg
a7f5eb48d7bdffac4f449d6eb740aeb6.jpg
99d9398fb9b81f61ba89567e0f4c2871.jpg
445e142d795bc72b4846b0f8383621e7.jpg
a0f4be4938621d7d6e862c86153affda.jpg
6c78966d17d4c61f48c13fbf6a5a8e67.jpg

Ok Now to upload the pictures still in phone lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some additional photos in which you can see the progression. Added a few corals which are all still tiny. Also added a big bulky dragon which i have glued a pavona frag too and am hoping it will encrust with it. My buddy's rbta keeps splitting so he tossed me a split to see how it does. My tank is still young so I am watching it closely but it seems to be doing fine.
20180811_134218.jpeg
20180811_134232.jpeg
20180818_161353.jpeg

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue right now is that my refugium is keeping my ph at 8.17 to 8.23 and as soon as that turns off my ph drops to 7.8 or so throughout the day. I think that means I need more coral and coraline to get the display to do more photosynthesis but we shall see. I am also picking up soda lime to C02 scrub the air before my skimmer to see if it helps at all.

This is actually why i have my skimmer run during the day vs at night. Since my night ph is way better than my day ph.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some additional photos in which you can see the progression. Added a few corals which are all still tiny. Also added a big bulky dragon which i have glued a pavona frag too and am hoping it will encrust with it. My buddy's rbta keeps splitting so he tossed me a split to see how it does. My tank is still young so I am watching it closely but it seems to be doing fine.
20180811_134218.jpeg
20180811_134232.jpeg
20180818_161353.jpeg

Looks good. The dragon is pretty unique. Should be interesting to see how that anemone fares.

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! My bubble tip took right away which was awesome. Hopefully yours feels right at home!

Ok, so question for you. What kind of flow does your anemone like? I am running 2 x Gyre 250's with 1 vertical and 1 horizontal. So adjusting the flow actually affects my entire tank with just these 2 pumps. Being that they are finicky with flow I don't want him to go on a big walk about and end up chopped to pieces.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so question for you. What kind of flow does your anemone like? I am running 2 x Gyre 250's with 1 vertical and 1 horizontal. So adjusting the flow actually affects my entire tank with just these 2 pumps. Being that they are finicky with flow I don't want him to go on a big walk about and end up chopped to pieces.

So I have 40 breeder with a Koralia 850gph wavemaker on one end facing the other side. Another in the back going across the back of my rock structure. The bta is opposite end of my front wavemaker. He is kind of tucked in behind some rocks but still gets good flow. The only time he’s moved is when I physically moved the rock he is on. He hasn’t left the rock my LFS sold him on though

Thought I had a photo on my phone but I don’t. I can send one tonight of he layout. I have heard of nems moving around but haven’t personally seen it happen.....yet lol

I had him more in the open at first but decided to move him to see if my clowns would start paying more attention to it in less flow, still waiting for them to call it home but it’s not looking good seeing as it’s been over a month and they barely look at it ;Rage

Hard to tell from the picture but mine looks to be about similar size as yours

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally watched him reach in his tank every few days and chase the clowns with his hand. I think that made them "look for cover" but now his clown is the meanest thing ever and bites any hand that goes in the tank so I would not suggest that approach lol.

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ok thank you. It just seems mine is squeezing himself to look smaller at the moment then he was at first. I may turn down the flow a hair and see if he extends back out. In a 4' tank having 2 250s is a little overkill so there is no safe space for him. I had a 265 gallon spring a leak so these went from a 7' tank down to this 4 footer.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ok thank you. It just seems mine is squeezing himself to look smaller at the moment then he was at first. I may turn down the flow a hair and see if he extends back out. In a 4' tank having 2 250s is a little overkill so there is no safe space for him. I had a 265 gallon spring a leak so these went from a 7' tank down to this 4 footer.

Mine shrunk up a lot at first for a few weeks. I think he was getting acclimated to the tank still and was doing water changes. Give it a few weeks and see how it starts to act. I also feed mine directly with a turkey baster. I’ve been using frozen brine shrimp mixed in water till is gets soft. They shrivel up during feeding but he opens back up shortly after.

I came home one time and could barley see it was so shriveled up! I started to panic but gave him an hour and boom, back to normal!

Yours might be getting used to the tank and the flow but should start to settle in. If they don’t like the flow they will move on their own so just hang in there and good luck!!

Everett625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your buddy you got the bta from knows how to get a clown to call it home, please share!! Haha ;Happy
I took my anemone and put it in a small container drilled some holes and put the clowns in the container with the anemone and slowly raised the container for 3 days till they went to the anemone and that was it

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great, keep up the great work. Welcome to the 120 club.

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I may be setting up another tank and transferring goodies within the next 2 years depending on how this one goes. I have a few freshwater systems that may end up getting the salt treatment. I just think a 8' salt tank as a wall will improve the structural integrity of my home. That's what I'm telling the wife at least.

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of been lazy and not updating but I did pick up some black onyx clowns for the nem. I actually netted them and held them over the nem for about 2 minutes when i first added them to tank. They are hosting perfectly well now.

Also added and changed alot of equipment. Added a reactor with gfo to get rid of some gha in the sump and now its almost gone so i may switch it to biopellets here soon.

Neptune dos for awc. Tried the autoaqua but it basically sucked so i switched to the dos and kept the autoaqua for an ato. As an ato its fine but the auto water changes seemed to be forcing the pump to get stuck on, and the max head on it is so low that i was changing things to match the pump. Instead of changing the pump to match my system.

Dos just plain works awesomely.

Also added kalk to the ato reservoir since my calc, alk, and ph were all lower than average.

Pretty much fixed that issue in a weeks time. Tanks going good other than that. I play with the flow on the gyre from time to time to kick up some detritus but there isnt much in the tank to kick up so all good.

Lots of new tiny corals including the last indonesian torch from tidal gardens. I will snap some pictures later to post.

Coraline is slowly growing and my pavona has overgrown the frag plug and has slightly attached to the dragon. Cant wait for that hing to start covering it a bit.
afa54eab41f795d1e16555d91d1059ae.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back