C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200720_183046.jpg

Been a while since the last update, so here we go:
Mollies did not last very long. One managed to hang on until last week, when I saw it resting on the bottom. By the time I got the net, something (probably a crab) had removed it from sight.

I've since purchased a pair of urchins. The first was a good sized what I think is Halloween Urchin. It's approximately 3-4 inches across. Absolutely gentle. Doesn't pick up anything living often, doesn't knock stuff over. My only complaint is that it can't get into really small spots, and likes to rest on my glass. The second is a much smaller pincushion. It is a bit of a pest in that it likes to carry snails and crabs around. Both are doing a great number on the algae, but I think the algae is still winning.

Before a WC, I've been doing my testing using Salifert. Before WC, I'm seeing around 30-50 PPM nitrate and fairly low 0.03 phosphate. I'm thinking to buy some 4" PVC and building a nitrate reactor and using one of my valves to power it. I've read about Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer, and I'm thinking it's a great design, but I'm not so sure about the dosing part of it.

I'm going to probably build it without the dosing, for in case I go on vacation or something takes me away from home for an extended period. I plan to fill with Seachem Matrix. I think if I make it long enough, I can probably get enough anerobic bacteria to knock the nitrate. Cost on the parts I need run about $55 + however much matrix I end up using.

Also in the sump, the pencil urchin that I left down there decided to eat all of my chaeto. I have a ball the size of a jawbreaker now.
I added some pulsing xenia, and I'm trying to figure out funding to get a macro package ordered - and yes, I will be rehoming the pencil urchin. They are NOT reef safe!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a package in from Gulf Coast Ecosystems!
20200729_174426.jpg

Great packaging, and the product took two days to ship from FL to KY.

Currently have high nitrates, and after hitting pretty much every rock to get the algae knocked back, I found that I had to do SOMETHING else. So I Got three items for the sump

Calcareous Algae Sampler
20200729_175651.jpg

Checked for hitchhikers, and found only a few pods.

Caulerpa Sampler
20200729_180035.jpg

Very "stinky" package, but again nothing worth noting. There was a nerite shell, which may have been alive at the beginning of the journey that could account for the scent.

Coralline Algae (rigid)
20200729_180747.jpg

Wrapped up inside of the papertowel, I found this guy:
20200729_180830.jpg

I've submitted an ID request, but for now it's in the sump.

20200729_181348.jpg

While it's not nearly a "display sump", I feel that I'm getting closer to creating a natural and beneficial method for adding some diversity to my tank!

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update today...
Let's focus on the fuge again!
My calerpa was has not been doing very well lately. It's growing...but dying at the same time?
Maybe it's some residual ReefFlux that is causing the problem? The ends of the macro turn white and...disappear.
As a result, I had some bad cyano show up everywhere. I dosed chemiclean 2 days ago to clear the cyano and I've done a 25% WC.

I've also done away with the pink fuge light and got a cheap 6500k led bulb with a clip-on reflector. Its on a separate timer, and is running a reverse photo period from the DT.

On the plus side, my calcified macros are doing well. I have about 4 new mermaids fans, and 1 new mermaids brush.

I have moved one of the returns to the middle chamber of the sump next to the skimmer. Im hoping to reduce the total flow to the refugium.

I've also added 6lbs of Brightwell Koralagoon Substrate to the sump today. I turned the return pump off before adding the substrate. All of the dust has settled already. Most of the macros are mostly covered in sand so far, but I figure they will grow out of it.

I have purchased wet mud before to get more micro fauna, but I think this stuff is pretty good for just getting more media in the sump. The media looks like someone dredged the bottom of the shore next to the beach in Clearwater Florida. Very clean sand, with a few bits of what looks like shells. Overall, Im hopefully this will give my macros the minerals and space to grow.

20200821_214456.jpg
20200821_214500.jpg

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:
20201001_201558.jpg

My algae problem seems to be under control. My larger halloween urchin died last week, probably due to it not having enough food. I realized what the problem was kind-of too late for me to start feeding it nori.

In the sump, I tried using a GE Par38 full spectrum grow light. It grew my macros very well! But at the same time, I had a massive amount of cyano growth.
20200918_115530.jpg

3 day black out, and swapping back to a regular 6500k led bulb resolved the cyano. It hasn't returned in a week.

No3 was ~25, po3 was super low...not sure if 0 or .03. Alk was low - around 7. I'm planning to start making some calcium and alk dosing.

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no post. Tank is pretty stable now. I think dosing vinegar is part of what finally dialed everything in. Also have been running a dosing pump to run the 2 part Randy Holmes Farley Cal/Alk dosing regimine. I have done only 1 water change, 20%, in the past 4 months.
I'm trading in GSP and Calurpa weekly to my LFS for more rock and a few frags.

Next step is to hook up some 15000k white + royal blue LEDs to light up a new tank. Not sure if I'm going to use a 20 gallon I have in the garage or buy a small stock tank.

Anyway. Here's some pics of the tank with blues + orange lenses.
20210625_225446.jpg

20210625_225459.jpg

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to play with some LEDs.
I ended up ordering some various types on EBAY, but only one shipment made it. Gotta love USPS...
I'll attach links on the next post. The photos are on my phone, so I'll attach those now...
20210708_191521.jpg

Yes, I ran out of them. I need to order another chain!
20210708_192624.jpg

It definitely evens out the lighting, considering my two CBBs....
16257873545436217251869548766639.jpg

Vs
16257874019734173809300193801031.jpg

OP
OP
C

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my camera didn't pickup a huge difference. But its there...I promise!
Here's the lights that arrived...
I selected the Cool White and the Blue. The COBS have a tape of them, but I have little doubt how long they will last, especially sitting above my salty tank. I screwed everything to some 1/2 PCV pipe that I made a square frame of. Those at least won't be falling into the water! The total square is 46" x 18".
For power, I have a pair of 35W 12V power supplies that we have an excessive amount of at my place of work. Each color are on their own separate supply. In the future, when I get more lights ordered, I'll be able to easily mate them with a 90 watt power supply.
Used some bullet-splice connectors to mate them to the light strips, and I have a pretty safe, easy to disconnect system.

The lights I had ordered, but got lost by USPS are here: Probably better lights
I had ordered the 10,000-15,000K white and the Royal Blue (440-450nm). 3 watt diodes with a PCB.
I'm going to probably stick with the COBs for a bit, but I'll revisit them when it comes time to build another tank for my kiddos.

Project cost so far:
PVC - $5.00
Lights - $22.05
Sheet Metal Screws Screws: $7.30
Power Supplies - FREE!!!!
Total: $27.05

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back