New to R2R - beginner tank Fluval flex 32

ironmnki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Fluval flex 32.5 sea , hygger mini wave maker 2600 , ps1 skimmer and heater and was amazed to cycle my tank with microbacter xlm (skimmer off) two clowns and live sand within 5 days .

I just ordered a real reef ready mix box for tank and hope it will be enough for a nice aqua scape since I will be creating it in water because I couldn’t control myself and started up tank will be using epoxy and super glue tubes to work under water. I would love to see some aqua scape idea of anyone who has ordered the same boxes and would love any tips. I’m new to all of this but I am great with home work

Fish plan will be two clowns, either Diamond Gobi or yellow watchman pistol combo , some hermit crabs , Royal granma, flame Hawkfish, I would like a hippo or powder blue tang but know they will outgrow my tank fairly quickly but I’d get one small and a very small fox face who I know will outgrow tank quickly as well. I just really love these two . I hope they can all get along in that small tank . I may just do one or other to not overload tank but I welcome feedback pls

I will eventually add coral most likely 6-8 months in

Also should I consider a Uv sterilizer like the Green Killing Machine in Tank UV clarifier?

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pezlobo1.jpg
Welcome to the reef!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Fluval flex 32 , ps1 skimmer and heater and was amazed to cycle my tank with microbacter xlm (skimmer off) two clowns and live sand within 5 days .

I just ordered a real reef ready mix box for tank and hope it will be enough for a nice aqua scape since I will be creating it in water because I couldn’t control myself and started up tank will be using epoxy and super glue tubes to work under water. I would love to see some aqua scape idea of anyone who has ordered the same boxes and would love any tips. I’m new to all of this but I am great with home work

Fish plan will be two clowns, either Diamond Gobi or yellow watchman pistol combo , some hermit crabs , Royal granma, flame Hawkfish, I would like a hippo or powder blue tang but know they will outgrow my tank fairly quickly but I’d get one small and a very small fox face who I know will outgrow tank quickly as well. I just really love these two . I hope they can all get along in that small tank . I may just do one or other to not overload tank but I welcome feedback pls

I will eventually add coral most likely 6-8 months in
Hello, I will tell you the foxface and tangs of any kind will be out of the question. . I have a 90 gallon with a foxface and that is pushing the limit IMHO. I just did a 75 gallon build and my stocking will be a bi color Blenny, copperband butterfly, two clowns . That will leave room for a few I just had to have it fish.

Best of luck

OP
OP
I

ironmnki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I will tell you the foxface and tangs of any kind will be out of the question. . I have a 90 gallon with a foxface and that is pushing the limit IMHO. I just did a 75 gallon build and my stocking will be a bi color Blenny, copperband butterfly, two clowns . That will leave room for a few I just had to have it fish.

Best of luck
Ok I figured it would be out of question, I know tank is small. I guess I’d be offering them up on here after a year or so anyways lol because they outgrew tank. Lol

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I figured it would be out of question, I know tank is small. I guess I’d be offering them up on here after a year or so anyways lol because they outgrew tank. Lol
Problem is they get big quickly, you fall in love and hold on to them for to long.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Best of luck
The tank while planned will be under-size For some of the fish you have planned, they may not thrive well in this size system

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

ironmnki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revisit your game plan and I recommend a reef ready tank. The tank while planned will be under-filtered with canister unit requiring regular maintenance or your levels will quickly climb. For some of the fish you have planned, they may not thrive well in a basic system.
The canister unit is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the inner media.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Not sure if you are directing this at me as I am a beginner. When you reference canister unit if directed at me then I am a bit confused as I don’t believe this is a canister unit system but I may be wrong. There is bio media and carbon in the back of tank, I also added a protein skimmer. I got the Fluval flex 32.5 sea

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revisit your game plan and I recommend a reef ready tank. The tank while planned will be under-filtered with canister unit requiring regular maintenance or your levels will quickly climb. For some of the fish you have planned, they may not thrive well in a basic system.
The canister unit is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the inner media.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Hi vetteguy, did you mean this for another post, good information I just wanted to make sure it gets to the right person.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you are directing this at me as I am a beginner. When you reference canister unit if directed at me then I am a bit confused as I don’t believe this is a canister unit system but I may be wrong. There is bio media and carbon in the back of tank, I also added a protein skimmer. I got the Fluval flex 32.5 sea
You have an all in one. No cannisters on your system

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually my bad as I thought the fluval flex was a canister unit and see it’s a tank system- duh. I’ve edited response

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi vetteguy, did you mean this for another post, good information I just wanted to make sure it gets to the right person.
No but fixed it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back