new to R2R

APX90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

im new here to posting on R2R but i have lurked on these boards for my entire reefing career. I currently own a aqua japan 27gallon aio mixed reef set up and recently purchased a red sea reefer 170 rimless which was just delivered to my place a couple days ago. I figured this would be a good time to come out of hiding and make a build thread, not to mention im probably one of the least handy people to walk this planet so thanks for the plumbing and planning help in advance.

Im currently keeping a mixed reef with a few low light sps, easy lps, and softies. i certainly made every mistake under the sun in my current system and hopefully learnt enough to make the next system great.

Ill be starting the build thread today!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy.gif

#WelcometoR2R

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

im new here to posting on R2R but i have lurked on these boards for my entire reefing career. I currently own a aqua japan 27gallon aio mixed reef set up and recently purchased a red sea reefer 170 rimless which was just delivered to my place a couple days ago. I figured this would be a good time to come out of hiding and make a build thread, not to mention im probably one of the least handy people to walk this planet so thanks for the plumbing and planning help in advance.

Im currently keeping a mixed reef with a few low light sps, easy lps, and softies. i certainly made every mistake under the sun in my current system and hopefully learnt enough to make the next system great.

Ill be starting the build thread today!

Welcome to R2R APX90!

I'm in the middle of my cycle on an Red Sea tank, so let me give you a save yourself some time hint - when you plumb the tank, go into the cabinet and tighten the tank plumbing from under the tank before you plumb the sump. I couldn't get things tightened down enough from above, kept having a leak in my emergency drain bulkhead, but when it dawned on me that I could tighten things from below, presto! problem solved!

OP
OP
APX90

APX90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R APX90!

I'm in the middle of my cycle on an Red Sea tank, so let me give you a save yourself some time hint - when you plumb the tank, go into the cabinet and tighten the tank plumbing from under the tank before you plumb the sump. I couldn't get things tightened down enough from above, kept having a leak in my emergency drain bulkhead, but when it dawned on me that I could tighten things from below, presto! problem solved!

Thanks for the tip! i got the cabinet built last night and tank on the cabinet, the only things i connected were the 2 drains but i made sure to tighten down the bulkheads for both and made sure the unions were fully seated, im planning on a manifold for the return instead of the stock barb connection, any experience with this? i need it to go to the brs dual reactor and an UV sterilizer

OP
OP
APX90

APX90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

and the journey begins

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip! i got the cabinet built last night and tank on the cabinet, the only things i connected were the 2 drains but i made sure to tighten down the bulkheads for both and made sure the unions were fully seated, im planning on a manifold for the return instead of the stock barb connection, any experience with this? i need it to go to the brs dual reactor and an UV sterilizer

Nope, I haven't tried anything like that with my tank, just a simple silicone tube from the pump to the return plumbing. What are you planning on running in the reactor?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back