New to Reef-pi

Enigma79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Ranjib and @Robo-Tank for dveloping the software and the interfacing board. I have used reefkeeper and Vertex Cerebra in the past and I just received my Robo-Tank board I am super excited about the build. I was setting up my reefpi. As far as equipment, I have not fully assembled my power bar, I am in waiting on a part. I have two temperature sensors connected to the reef-pi and they are displaying almost similar readings. I have email alerts setup and they are working flawlessly. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to set an alert if the temperature readings between the temperature sensors are greater than a set threshold? Right now I only get alerts if each sensor goes out of range.
  2. I was playing with setting up a macro - is there a way to change the order of the steps by moving it up or down or should I have to manually change all the steps if I want to insert a new step.
  3. UPS backup - when I had my reefkeeper, I connected the reefkeeper controller and one of the power bars (4 outlets) to the battery backup outlets on my UPS with my essential equipment. The other equipment were connected to another power bar that was also connected to the UPS that was not on the battery backup. Similar to this setup we could connect each relay to a different power source (Battery backup outlet/ regular power) and call it a day.

What I wanted to do was have a relay and some other sensor connected to the wall outlet and have it trigger a inlet on the reef-pi that would toggle setting if there is a power failure. I would like to have the ability to allow the user to select if the outlet should operate in the event of a power failure, if yes then select one of the option - all the time/per schedule/time intervals. If the wifi router/modem are also on UPS backup then send an email notification to alert of power failure.
Thank you for your help!

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Enigma79, no problem, thanks for trying it.

1, not sure what you are referring to? Isn't the threshold the range? I think you can add the same temp sensors many times for different alerts or control extra equipment, maybe that will get you there?

2, you guessed it, have to change the steps.

3. yeah splitting the power bar is the easiest, probably quite a few do that, the other can't help you there. When I get some time I'm going to play and see what can be done as it is, maybe with some outside the box thinking it's possible or some things at least.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Ranjib and @Robo-Tank for dveloping the software and the interfacing board. I have used reefkeeper and Vertex Cerebra in the past and I just received my Robo-Tank board I am super excited about the build. I was setting up my reefpi. As far as equipment, I have not fully assembled my power bar, I am in waiting on a part. I have two temperature sensors connected to the reef-pi and they are displaying almost similar readings. I have email alerts setup and they are working flawlessly. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to set an alert if the temperature readings between the temperature sensors are greater than a set threshold? Right now I only get alerts if each sensor goes out of range.
  2. I was playing with setting up a macro - is there a way to change the order of the steps by moving it up or down or should I have to manually change all the steps if I want to insert a new step.
  3. UPS backup - when I had my reefkeeper, I connected the reefkeeper controller and one of the power bars (4 outlets) to the battery backup outlets on my UPS with my essential equipment. The other equipment were connected to another power bar that was also connected to the UPS that was not on the battery backup. Similar to this setup we could connect each relay to a different power source (Battery backup outlet/ regular power) and call it a day.

What I wanted to do was have a relay and some other sensor connected to the wall outlet and have it trigger a inlet on the reef-pi that would toggle setting if there is a power failure. I would like to have the ability to allow the user to select if the outlet should operate in the event of a power failure, if yes then select one of the option - all the time/per schedule/time intervals. If the wifi router/modem are also on UPS backup then send an email notification to alert of power failure.
Thank you for your help!
It sounds like you are looking for a way to be notified if there is a variance between 2 sensors. reef-pi doesn't support that functionality, but it could be possible to write and schedule a dedicated script outside of reef-pi.

I had originally thought I would want something like that to detect bad temperature sensors, but it hasn't been an issue so far. I've had my reef-pi running with 3 temp sensor for a couple of years now. I did cover the probes in silicone to prevent water intrusion. The only time I get any variance between them is during water changes when one of the probes is exposed.

OP
OP
E

Enigma79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are looking for a way to be notified if there is a variance between 2 sensors. reef-pi doesn't support that functionality, but it could be possible to write and schedule a dedicated script outside of reef-pi.

I had originally thought I would want something like that to detect bad temperature sensors, but it hasn't been an issue so far. I've had my reef-pi running with 3 temp sensor for a couple of years now. I did cover the probes in silicone to prevent water intrusion. The only time I get any variance between them is during water changes when one of the probes is exposed.

Yes, that is what I was meaning to ask, worded it wrong. I was planning to have one in the main tank and one in the sump with the heater. Usually there is a slight difference between the two, the variance will be nice to have so that you can see the difference between the two and not lead to over heating or cooling issues. Also, the pi email alert only shows the temp info for just one sensor and the range, it will be awesome if it can include the readings from the other sensors. Right now I have the reef-pi setup for external access so I can see the readings on my phone for all the sensors.

I currently run Home Assistant and use Node red for my automation. I will do some research on this.

I ordered the plasti dip. Once I get the probes coated I should be good. I am worried about the reliability issues of the probes.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is what I was meaning to ask, worded it wrong. I was planning to have one in the main tank and one in the sump with the heater. Usually there is a slight difference between the two, the variance will be nice to have so that you can see the difference between the two and not lead to over heating or cooling issues. Also, the pi email alert only shows the temp info for just one sensor and the range, it will be awesome if it can include the readings from the other sensors. Right now I have the reef-pi setup for external access so I can see the readings on my phone for all the sensors.

I currently run Home Assistant and use Node red for my automation. I will do some research on this.

I ordered the plasti dip. Once I get the probes coated I should be good. I am worried about the reliability issues of the probes.

Ah I see what you were thinking of, I like that idea. I've also had good luck with the DS18B20, I think mine is getting close to a couple years old too but I have had issues with others so hit or miss I guess.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back