New to reef2reef

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I’ve been reefing for a couple of years now and I’ve got a lot of questions about reef2reef. Where do I post question about school programs/internships and then one of my aquariums has been in the ugly stage for years and I can’t seem to grow coralline algae. Also my cheato isn’t doing very well at all and I’m looking for tips on that. I’m also looking to buy a used reefbreeders photon v2 48 if available on here but I’m not sure how to look any help would be wonderful!!!!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
98D5C488-E0FF-411F-ABF4-92D3B084075B.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I’ve been reefing for a couple of years now and I’ve got a lot of questions about reef2reef. Where do I post question about school programs/internships and then one of my aquariums has been in the ugly stage for years and I can’t seem to grow coralline algae. Also my cheato isn’t doing very well at all and I’m looking for tips on that. I’m also looking to buy a used reefbreeders photon v2 48 if available on here but I’m not sure how to look any help would be wonderful!!!!!
IME with coralline, it won’t grow until the tank is mature and out of the ugly phase.
I have had a tank go through the uglies for a year and had no coralline growth, the instant it was mature it grew coralline and still does.

Thenakedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies are likely consuming the nutrients instead of you chaeto. Also, if you have other filtration means combined with the uglies your chaeto is starving itself. It is best to deal with eliminating the uglies and then chose a single filtration method like chaeto and then add as needed.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies are likely consuming the nutrients instead of you chaeto. Also, if you have other filtration means combined with the uglies your chaeto is starving itself. It is best to deal with eliminating the uglies and then chose a single filtration method like chaeto and then add as needed.
How do I eliminate the uglies? I’m not even sure what the uglies are lol it’s really bothering me and I want to continue. My coral growth is great. And my parameters are
Magnesium: 1300
Calcium: 500
Alkalinity: 8
Phosphate: .15
Nitrate: 5
Temp: 78.9
Salinity: 1.025
As far as I can tell nothings out of wack. Should I try some of that cheato grow stuff? And also the coralline algae should I seed my tank?

Thenakedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I eliminate the uglies? I’m not even sure what the uglies are lol it’s really bothering me and I want to continue. My coral growth is great. And my parameters are
As far as I can tell nothings out of wack. Should I try some of that cheato grow stuff? And also the coralline algae should I seed my tank?
I was assuming by “the uglies‘ you were referring to an algae Infestation. My apologies if I was wrong. Though your nitrate/phosphate is imbalanced you certainly have enough to support cheato growth.

I personally have never used cheato grow, perhaps someone else can chime in that has used it?

If you have good coral growth I would worry less about the cheato and keep things stable as they are. Sometimes our desires bring about disaster ;) however, I understand you may have another goal in mind.

Thenakedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell nothings out of wack. Should I try some of that cheato grow stuff? And also the coralline algae should I seed my tank?….
… I should add welcome to r2r. I am new to this forum too but have been in the hobby for some time. I don’t typically use forums but am going to give this one a try.

Keep in mind that taking advice from a forum like this is a risky proposition. There are good resources for the very questions that you are seeking, such as videos produced by BRS. Forums tend to attract narcissists and their sycophants as well as pseudo intellectuals. They are designed to monetarily reward the owner/moderator who has little vested interest in you or your tanks welfare. I haven’t been here a day yet and had one of their primary imps who roams about decrying people attack me. Just be careful And if your tank is doing well, I wouldn’t worry about the cheato growth.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was assuming by “the uglies‘ you were referring to an algae Infestation. My apologies if I was wrong. Though your nitrate/phosphate is imbalanced you certainly have enough to support cheato growth.

I personally have never used cheato grow, perhaps someone else can chime in that has used it?

If you have good coral growth I would worry less about the cheato and keep things stable as they are. Sometimes our desires bring about disaster ;) however, I understand you may have another goal in mind.
Well when I say the “uglies” I mean that my tank has no coralline algae in it and the dry rock is covered in this brownish reddish color that won’t go away and all the corals are still frags and not full pieces. So the nitrate tends to swing ecspecilly when I do water changes. And the cheato just doesn’t grow in fact I think it’s gotten smaller.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
… I should add welcome to r2r. I am new to this forum too but have been in the hobby for some time. I don’t typically use forums but am going to give this one a try.

Keep in mind that taking advice from a forum like this is a risky proposition. There are good resources for the very questions that you are seeking, such as videos produced by BRS. Forums tend to attract narcissists and their sycophants as well as pseudo intellectuals. They are designed to monetarily reward the owner/moderator who has little vested interest in you or your tanks welfare. I haven’t been here a day yet and had one of their primary imps who roams about decrying people attack me. Just be careful And if your tank is doing well, I wouldn’t worry about the cheato growth.
I absolutely love the brs but there only so much they can tell you that’s why I was thinking to come here where they have lots of people and there own opinions. That’s terrible what was the guy saying or doing? What was it about?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back