New to reefing and my progress.

Myst3ry_sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reefing journey started out 6 months ago my best buddy introduced me to saltwater and after 5 mins I asked him I want a small tank to start out lol. Boy, I did not know what I was getting into (an expensive hobby and I thought planted freshwater tank was expensive lol)
Anyway, my starter tank was a 24 gallon with a HOB skimmer that I bought used from a reefing community.
IMG_4343.jpg
IMG_4328.jpg
I was super excited about this move and asked my friend to bring his tank over in the same night we bought the tank lol and I still remember he also bring over some live rock, corals, and a LED lighting fixture that was good enough for LPS and softies. I will attach the image below.
IMG_4341.jpg
IMG_4342.jpg

After, a few months seeing how corals growing and fish are getting bigger I wanted an update lol. I called up my buddy and ask him to get me a bigger tank which he hook me up on another good deal on a 120 gallon with 30 gallon sump both were made from acrylic. I’m begin to putting in time and money for this tank which the hope some day I will be able to keep Sps which is the corals that I heard a lot about when I first started out. Anyway, long story short I made a lot of dumb mistake with this tank and has a lot of corals dying off at the beginning even the easiest coral like Xenia lol. The problem at that point was some of the base rock I bought from a local reefer was leaking phosphate probably because he left of the water for too many days before I picked them up as you might know all the living things in the rock might have died after that period. I went ahead and removed all the rock out and replace them with LFS live rocks everything has went smoother all my corals become happier and fish also become healthier from there on. I’m in the progress of keeping more Sps in my tank at the moment.
However, I’m still learning how to color the SPS up, so that they look colorful. If you guys advice on how to color the sps corals I’ll be more than happy to learn the knowledge from the masters. Thank you all for reading through my teeny tiny bit of joy from the hobby.
IMG_4344.jpg

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the rockscape with the shelf rock. Looks good. I use acropower to help color up SPS but it depends on what you are currently adding (if anything) and what your goals are- I only dose minimum amounts because I'm generally not a fan of chemical fixes, but I have seen results in my tank. I find if you keep the parameters stable within an acceptable norm, corals will respond. Stability is more important than chasing numbers. There are many ways to keep a healthy reef. Just have to decide on the direction you want to go. Good luck and keep posting pictures and questions!

OP
OP
M

Myst3ry_sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15 fishes in this tank currently. Holding the sailfin, hippo, and 3 big anthias for my friend once his 220 is up. They will move into his 220. The Foxface and Mata tang I know for fact will be big for this tank when they reach adult size, but I don’t want to part with them when they reach adult size since I have them ever since they are 1 1/2 in.

OP
OP
M

Myst3ry_sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Change for the tank and here is the top view of all my coral on Oct 15, 2019.
IMG_4781.jpg
IMG_4780.jpg
IMG_4493.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back