New to reefing and questions about algae

AJreefer96

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
London
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone im complete new to reef aquariums.
So recently got my first aquarium the nano G2 cube and I'm using the Red Sea reef mature. I'm on day 12 and I've added 2 trochus snails and 2 orange leg hermit crabs. I only got 4 as I didn't have a lot of algae so didnt want to over do it. Had them in for 2 days and now seeing all little black marks on the substrate I'm guessing this is normal and it's the waste from the clean up crew I'm guessing I should now get a substrate cleaner to remove all of this but was just double checking to make sure this normal as this is all new to me, and should I get some more snails and a shrimp now? Any help is much appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1425.mov
    30.3 MB
You can get more snails if you want too. I've had my sand look a lot more messy than this before I did anything, haha.
 
Hello sir welcome to reef2reef!!!! I wouldn’t worry about your sand. Let it go it will house live bacteria and more clean up crew. I can’t really say I’ve seeen many healthy tanks with perfect White sand beds. Also your sand is about to be super brown from diatoms so don’t sweat it. We will be here for your when you have more questions!
 
Welcome to the hobby, I have been addicted for 55 years.

Not familiar with Red Sea reef mature as far as cycling a tank. What is your vision for stocking this tank? Consider starting a tank journal in members tank forum.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new