New to Reefing

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
My name is Tom and I am new to the hobby. I am in the very beginning stages of deploying it. I am doing a 75 gallon Marineland corner flow which what i have read might not be able to flow the 10-20x flow that i have read a reef needs seeing it is capped out at 600-700GPH due to 1" bulkheads. ( I am sure you will see a post at another time here soon about my thoughts on how to deal with that).

I have purchased a 30 gallon tank which I plan on using as a sump, still educating myself on that and if I am going to bother with a refugium or not. If I go refugium, return pump will be in the middle, fuge will be on right so I can throttle flow through it.

I picked up a Current Eflux dc pump that will be able to move about 1250GPH at 5' head pressure under optimal conditions. If I feel it is not up to the task them I will step up to a bigger one and put this on the shelf for use during water changes, auto top off system duties (That is a joke btw), or spare. Hmm running 2 simultaneously for redundancy....

Also picked up a AquaMaxx Cones Q-2 skimmer which I believe is bigger than I need to handle 75 gallons but I never seen thus far on this or any other forum any complaints on having too much skimming capacity.

I'm sure I am going to bombarding you guys and gals with stupid questions so be gentle. :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Tom. That is going to be one great system. Ask away, there are pretty many there the will give you some great advice:)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Tom and you've come to the right place. Plenty of willing and able folks here to help.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Ask all of the questions you have. Best way to a successful and beautiful tank! It does help the wallet as well;)

welcom.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

OP
OP
scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

Welcome! The turn over rate is more of a flow rate. You can achieve large flow rates by using power heads/wave makers inside the tank.

I guess it is time to start this conversation in the noob thread, thanks for correcting my misconception (and my terminology). Wave makers were always in the plan just were lower in the priority list...until this. :)

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
My name is Tom and I am new to the hobby. I am in the very beginning stages of deploying it. I am doing a 75 gallon Marineland corner flow which what i have read might not be able to flow the 10-20x flow that i have read a reef needs seeing it is capped out at 600-700GPH due to 1" bulkheads. ( I am sure you will see a post at another time here soon about my thoughts on how to deal with that).

I have purchased a 30 gallon tank which I plan on using as a sump, still educating myself on that and if I am going to bother with a refugium or not. If I go refugium, return pump will be in the middle, fuge will be on right so I can throttle flow through it.

I picked up a Current Eflux dc pump that will be able to move about 1250GPH at 5' head pressure under optimal conditions. If I feel it is not up to the task them I will step up to a bigger one and put this on the shelf for use during water changes, auto top off system duties (That is a joke btw), or spare. Hmm running 2 simultaneously for redundancy....

Also picked up a AquaMaxx Cones Q-2 skimmer which I believe is bigger than I need to handle 75 gallons but I never seen thus far on this or any other forum any complaints on having too much skimming capacity.

I'm sure I am going to bombarding you guys and gals with stupid questions so be gentle. :)

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations with your new hobby!
Sounds like a good start:)...What stock do you plan to have?

Zhenya

OP
OP
scriptmonkey

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations with your new hobby!
Sounds like a good start:)...What stock do you plan to have?

Zhenya
THANKS!
Well once I get things put together the plan is to get a 75 gallon package from Tampa Bay Saltwater to start then after surviving that I am being informed that the very first fish better be a "Nemo" after all the aggravation and turning our basement into a war zone. :) After that it comes down too what will play nice and tank needs to make it run as smooth as possible.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back