New to reefing

Ab Kouign Amann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello saltwater lovers,
I've been diving quite a bit in various places, from my homeland's beaches in Britanny to the Aussie Great Barrier Reef, but never imagined keeping the critter I saw in a tank.
I've an experience with other keeping hobbies (orchids, ants, butterflies, parrots, frogs, reptiles, etc.) and also got to work closely with mariculture professional for the Biotechnology industry, and decided I should try reefkeeping one day.

So here I am, gathering information for a tank project. I think I'll start with some easy stuff like pods culture and maybe a softie nano jar tank. The next step will be in a few year, but I've been thinking about mixed reef tank for a long time so I'll probably go this way. I really enjoy the high diversity of lifeforms you can host in a saltwater setup.

To conclude, I'll let you have a look at some maricultured cold water species my collaborators work with.
The setup is an open loop pumpin' and dumpin' in the sea. Most tanks are only agitated with airstones, and water is moved by pump only for waterchanges. The automatically fed tanks are dosed food with a peristaltic pump.

20190521_130340.jpg

Some sea stars on the left, on breeding program. The oocytes and larvae are studied to better understand the role of small molecules in hormone production and animal development.
On the right a sea sponge, I don't remember if this one was just kept alive for ulterior studies or if it was cultured.

20190521_130243.jpg
20190521_130322.jpg

This guy is on an intensive growth program for a public aquarium.
Fished or nature-collected European blue lobsters often have broken antennae, and the public aquarium wanted a big, perfect lobter for their tank. So here he is growing.
On the right there's the rack with many Scyliorhinus canicula, the small common catshark. These are for public aquarias all over France, as many don't reproduce their own catsharks.

20190521_131114.jpg
20190521_125817.jpg

They do also grow tunicates, the larvae are used to study developmental biology. This one is in the display tank at the entrance of the lab. Will you find another creature on the picture ? (hint : studied for developmental biology and neurobiology)
Some tunicate also have interesting molecules for drug discovery, but not this one AFAIK.
The picture on the right is my favorite project at the lab I'm allowed to share here : a sea cucumber mariculture system. I'm not allowed to show you the whole system but here's the growth tank. The brown water is full of detritus, fishfood and microalgae. Once they're big enough, they go in the mating tank.

Sea you soon on the forum :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the introduction - we’re glad you’re here!

OP
OP
A

Ab Kouign Amann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Not sure starting with a “jar” etc is easier than starting with a larger more traditional tank setup though!

Of course!
I'm really short in place and I move almost yearly so I need systems that don't take much place and can be moved easily from place to place. I'd love to discover other setup than picojar which can comply with my unstable situation.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello saltwater lovers,
I've been diving quite a bit in various places, from my homeland's beaches in Britanny to the Aussie Great Barrier Reef, but never imagined keeping the critter I saw in a tank.
I've an experience with other keeping hobbies (orchids, ants, butterflies, parrots, frogs, reptiles, etc.) and also got to work closely with mariculture professional for the Biotechnology industry, and decided I should try reefkeeping one day.

So here I am, gathering information for a tank project. I think I'll start with some easy stuff like pods culture and maybe a softie nano jar tank. The next step will be in a few year, but I've been thinking about mixed reef tank for a long time so I'll probably go this way. I really enjoy the high diversity of lifeforms you can host in a saltwater setup.

To conclude, I'll let you have a look at some maricultured cold water species my collaborators work with.
The setup is an open loop pumpin' and dumpin' in the sea. Most tanks are only agitated with airstones, and water is moved by pump only for waterchanges. The automatically fed tanks are dosed food with a peristaltic pump.

20190521_130340.jpg

Some sea stars on the left, on breeding program. The oocytes and larvae are studied to better understand the role of small molecules in hormone production and animal development.
On the right a sea sponge, I don't remember if this one was just kept alive for ulterior studies or if it was cultured.

20190521_130243.jpg
20190521_130322.jpg

This guy is on an intensive growth program for a public aquarium.
Fished or nature-collected European blue lobsters often have broken antennae, and the public aquarium wanted a big, perfect lobter for their tank. So here he is growing.
On the right there's the rack with many Scyliorhinus canicula, the small common catshark. These are for public aquarias all over France, as many don't reproduce their own catsharks.

20190521_131114.jpg
20190521_125817.jpg

They do also grow tunicates, the larvae are used to study developmental biology. This one is in the display tank at the entrance of the lab. Will you find another creature on the picture ? (hint : studied for developmental biology and neurobiology)
Some tunicate also have interesting molecules for drug discovery, but not this one AFAIK.
The picture on the right is my favorite project at the lab I'm allowed to share here : a sea cucumber mariculture system. I'm not allowed to show you the whole system but here's the growth tank. The brown water is full of detritus, fishfood and microalgae. Once they're big enough, they go in the mating tank.

Sea you soon on the forum :)
Welcome to R2R !!!! and hope to see some more cool pictures!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back