New to reefing

Jimmy toe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I have just got into reefing and have joined this group to gain some experience from other reefers etc. I have years of experience with fresh water from community, cichlids, discus and pretty much everything in that field. But starting up my new reef tank has been a real eye opener and a massive learning curve so any help and contacts will be very welcome.
I started a small nano system at Christmas which my better half got me as a gift. I added a few small fish and then a few coral frags which are doing well. I started having a lot of trouble with algae and had to keep on top of it daily along with water parameters changing quite quickly. So I’ve now invested in a 130ltr system which I have now had running for 2 weeks and I must say it’s so much better.
If anyone has done something similar and could offer any experience they had I would appreciate it

Thanks in advance
Jimmy

722E587A-7502-4078-875A-BFA293B6D67C.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! We’re glad you’re here!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
I have just got into reefing and have joined this group to gain some experience from other reefers etc. I have years of experience with fresh water from community, cichlids, discus and pretty much everything in that field. But starting up my new reef tank has been a real eye opener and a massive learning curve so any help and contacts will be very welcome.
I started a small nano system at Christmas which my better half got me as a gift. I added a few small fish and then a few coral frags which are doing well. I started having a lot of trouble with algae and had to keep on top of it daily along with water parameters changing quite quickly. So I’ve now invested in a 130ltr system which I have now had running for 2 weeks and I must say it’s so much better.
If anyone has done something similar and could offer any experience they had I would appreciate it

Thanks in advance
Jimmy

Welcome to R2R.

I see you've got a pretty Mandarin there.

Remember that new tanks will need constant dosing of pods until a large breeding colony is established in your rock and sand for the goby.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy and Welcome!

Sounds like you've been working it out. Weirdly, bigger is easier in the saltwater side of fish husbandry. Great photo!

This is a good link to feeding mandarins as too many end up starving as nearly impossible to get/keep enough pods in system for them:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back