New to salt/Just beginning research

Welcome!

Party Reaction GIF
 
Hello! I’m here to begin my research for entering the saltwater/reef aquarium hobby. My husband and I purchased a handful of used tanks over the weekend from someone who is moving. DH gets a 75 gallon and plans to make it a planted tank, while I get a 60 cube and think I want to venture into salt.

Past experience: I’ve kept cichlids in the past and currently we have a planted tank with betta/neons in a 20 hex. My husband has kept salt tanks about a decade ago, but since this is “my” tank, I’d like to gather my own base of knowledge.

The filter that came with this tank is a Marineland TS3. While the previous owner said he never used it, it’s clear there’s media residue inside it. Any thoughts on this filter?

I will need to get a new stand prior to setting up the tank due to water damage on the . The back and bottom are warped so that they bow out, the stand wobbles, and the doors do not open properly (especially with a full tank on top). I have a local fish store that quoted ~$290 for a Marineland Ventura stand, which is what I found it for online as well. I’m happy to support my local store.

The previous owner installed bulkheads into the back of the tank. They appear to be watertight, as I let the tank sit completely filled overnight and everything was dry in the morning.

The plan for the RO is to connect it to a splitter for the washing machine.

The big question is: What do you wish you could t
Welcome!

Glad you joined
 
Hello! I’m here to begin my research for entering the saltwater/reef aquarium hobby. My husband and I purchased a handful of used tanks over the weekend from someone who is moving. DH gets a 75 gallon and plans to make it a planted tank, while I get a 60 cube and think I want to venture into salt.

Past experience: I’ve kept cichlids in the past and currently we have a planted tank with betta/neons in a 20 hex. My husband has kept salt tanks about a decade ago, but since this is “my” tank, I’d like to gather my own base of knowledge.

The filter that came with this tank is a Marineland TS3. While the previous owner said he never used it, it’s clear there’s media residue inside it. Any thoughts on this filter?

I will need to get a new stand prior to setting up the tank due to water damage on the . The back and bottom are warped so that they bow out, the stand wobbles, and the doors do not open properly (especially with a full tank on top). I have a local fish store that quoted ~$290 for a Marineland Ventura stand, which is what I found it for online as well. I’m happy to support my local store.

The previous owner installed bulkheads into the back of the tank. They appear to be watertight, as I let the tank sit completely filled overnight and everything was dry in the morning.

The plan for the RO is to connect it to a splitter for the washing machine.

The big question is: What do you wish you could t
The best advice I can give you from working in several LFS and coral stores:
-budget equipment is good for less important stuff or basic stuff, but when you’re going for lighting, spend a little more to get something nice with warranty.
-find a couple employees at your local fish store, get to know them, and trust their advice! Ask them specific questions about your tank!
-take lots and lots of pictures and videos of your tank- this way when something weird happens, you can show videos and pics to these employees rather than describing what’s going on
- when it comes to budget, try to choose higher end but smaller things (for example- I once made a reef tank that was larger but didn’t have much in the way of quality supplies, and it failed miserably next to the smaller tank where I instead invested in higher quality equipment.
- never be afraid to ask questions, and read up on any livestock you want to care for before you buy it!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new